1961 Lancia Flaminia

Sport Zagato

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1961
  • Car type 
    Coupé
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Restored
  • Interior colour 
    Red
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    White
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Performance 
    140 PS / 103 kW / 139 BHP
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

- Iconic Zagato Design with Double Bubble Roof and alloy body
- Second Series car with open headlights
- documented history
- upgraded to 3C 2.5 specs
- fresh out of an extensive restoration

The Lancia Flaminia was introduced in 1957 as a successor to the legendary Lancia Aurelia. It was propelled by an updated version of the famous all aluminium V6 engine designed by Francesco De Virgilio, that is mated to a transaxle gearbox. The totally revised front suspension was a big step up from the system used in the previous models. With all these upgrades and a very good built quality it offered refinement, luxury and sportiness all at the same time. The model was named after the Via Flaminia, the road leading from Rome to Rimini, in line with Lancias tradition of naming individual models after Roman roads.
The Flaminia was offered in a wide range of different models.
A factory built Berlina, a Coupé built by Pinin Farina, a GT Coupé and a GT coupé built by Touring and the top of the line Sport Model built by Zagato.
The Flaminia Sport was introduced in 1958 at the motorshow in Turin. The all alloy bodywork was an absolute masterpiece by the legendary coachbuilder Zagato. It featured a very rakish design including the famous “double bubble” roof Zagato is famous for. The doors featured pop-out handles, and the curvaceous body included a low, functional air scoop on the bonnet.
The sport model received a specially tuned engine. The first cars built from 1958 to 1961 had a 2.5 Litre V6 engine with a single carburetor and 119 brake-horsepower. The engine was upgraded in 1961 with three Weber double-downdraft carburetors and different camshafts, increasing brake horsepower to 140.
In total three different versions were built including the later Supersports. The total figure is around 589 cars, although the numbers vary a bit depending on the source.
The first series of about 99 cars had the 2.5 Litre single carb engine with 119 hp and covered headlights.
The second series started with 2.5 Litres and the single carb engine with 119 hp and the classic open headlights. Only about 100 cars were built and this is one of them.
From 1961 onwards the second series was upgrades with the 2.5 3C engine with 140 hp that was later upgraded to 2.8 Liters. A total of 185 cars were built of both engine sizes.
The third series was called Supersports and had different headlights and more importantly an aerodynamic Kamm tail, which did not look nearly as beautiful as the flowing rear end of the earlier versions making the Supersports the least sought after of the line. Around 205 cars were built.

This car was first registered in Italy on the 18th of June 1961. The history in Italy is well documented by old registration documents covering the years 1968 to 1989 when the car was sold to an Englishman. It was registered in the UK with the FIA (Historic Vehicle Identity Form) on 23 May 1990. The car was in good shape at that time as documented by the pictures in the form. As the FIA form also documents the car was already outfitted in 1990 with the upgraded 3C engine that is still in the car. The original engine type 823.00 was replaced with a 2.5 engine of the type 823.10. The Sport models received a special engine different than the engines in the Berlina. This is such a correct special Sport engine of the type that was introduced by the factory in the Flaminia Sports 3C only shortly after this car rolled off the production line. In the early years it was common to replace the engine with the current version if the original engine developed a problem.

According to the documents the car was later fully restored by a Lancia specialist in Italy from 1991 to 1994. After the restoration was completed the car was homologated by the Italian ASI (Automotoclub Storica Italiano) and got the number A-0634. The owner kept the car for about 20 years until 2010. The next time the car was sold was in 2015, when the current owner bought it. Even as the condition was still very nice, the over 20 years old restoration showed some age and he commissioned the car to a specialized restoration shop in the Netherlands. In particular the alloy body was extensively restored and repainted to the highest level. The interior was still very nice and was therefore kept. The restoration is very well documented by hundreds of pictures, showing that no expenses were spared.

The beautifully designed, very well engineered and built Sport Zagatos are both a visual delight and exciting road machines. With only a few hundred cars built in all forms it is one of the rarest cars of its time and were are delighted to be able to offer such a rare example. Especially in this beautiful condition and color combination.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for more info and for the price of the car.