1959 Porsche 356Cabriolet
Year of manufacture1959
Mileage12 006 mi / 19 322 km
Car typeConvertible / Roadster
Completed at the factory in December 1959, #152811 was first delivered to Hoffman of New York. Max Hoffman, was the sole importer of Porsches (as well as other European cars) into the United States right through the fifties and sixties.
Supplied new from dealer with the optional equipment of chrome Wheels, additional Webasto heater and outside mirror
This car was imported from Los Angeles into the UK in 2015 as a non-restored car - via Beverley Hills Car Club to Lux Classics.
In January 2016 was granted a Porsche certificate of authenticity and in September 2016 was first registered in the UK with the registration plate 319 UYT.
Over a period of 6 years the car was restored to it's delivery specification with the assistance and parts provision from a number of renown 356 specialists - details on file.
The trim was the last element of the restoration and was completed earlier this year.
The car is now in superb fully restored condition ready for a new custodian.
The Porsche 356 was the first Porsche production car and was introduced as a lightweight, rear-engine, rear-wheel drive, two-door model available both in hardtop coupé and open configurations. The model was refined over its production contributing to its motorsports success and popularity. Production started in 1948 at Gmünd, Austria, where Porsche built approximately 50 cars. In 1950 the factory relocated to Zuffenhausen, Germany, and general production of the 356 continued until April 1965, well after the replacement model 911 made its September 1964 debut. Of the 76,000 originally produced, approximately half survive.
In model year 1960, the 356 A was replaced by the completely redesigned 356 B (T5). The key visual differences between the B series and the A series model included the front bumper with enlarged higher overriders and the headlights, which were also higher. The horn grilles next to the further-protruding front indicators were flatter and featured two chrome-plated slats. The front lid handle was also wider at the bottom. The two lamps for the number plate lighting were integrated in the higher-positioned rear bumper, while the reversing light was mounted below the bumper.