To be OFFERED AT AUCTION WITHOUT RESERVE at RM Sotheby’s Motor City event, July 30, 2016.Series 2201. 130 bhp, 288 cu. in. L-head inline eight-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission with overdrive, independent coil-spring front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 120 in.
Packard’s last “woodie"; produced in very limited numbers
High-quality cosmetic restoration
Fitted with accessory sun visor and later chrome wire wheels
Formerly part of a distinguished private collection
It is amazing how quickly a tradition can catch on. Packard offered its first factory station wagons in 1940, and they were rather magnificent hand-crafted creations on the six-cylinder 110 and eight-cylinder 120 chassis. While production would last only two years, Packard’s wagons made an impact among buyers who had long favored the company’s limousines, and now they had a suitable companion for the country house. After World War II, Packard took opportunity of that brand loyalty by offering a new wood-trimmed model, which would cross the borders of town and country.
The new model was dubbed the Station Sedan, and it was essentially a Standard Eight Sedan that featured beautifully hewn white ash paneling over an all-steel body, a unique semi-fastback roofline, and rear quarter panels. While it looked for all the world like the “woodies” of old, wood played a structural role in only the tailgate, which pioneered the two-piece gate that would become a feature of most all 1950s wagons. The model was lush, evocative of a bygone era, and one of Packard’s most elegant offerings.
Unfortunately, the buying public that Packard executive and styling guru Edward Macauley saw for the model was just not there. The vast majority of Station Sedans were produced in 1948, with leftovers being renumbered to sell in 1949 and, finally, in 1950. As the wooden body required proper care that many examples did not receive, the majority of the few built have not survived, and as a result, the last of the wood-trimmed Packards have become a great rarity.
The sumptuous 1948 Station Sedan here was formerly part of a well-known private collection in the Southwest and was cosmetically restored in 2010 by Chev Connection of Portland, Oregon, upgrading its previous restoration from a decade prior. Master craftsman Jack Ehrlich refinished the wood, and a new exhaust and muffler were fitted at the same time. Wide whitewall tires on later chrome wire wheels are fitted, as is a factory accessory sun visor. The car will be recognizable to enthusiasts from its appearance in the June 2010 issue of Cars & Parts magazine.
Not shown during its current ownership but reported to run and drive nicely, this is likely one of the nicest Station Sedans made available in recent years and would be a pleasurable addition to any collection. It is, to put it simply, an excellent example of a landmark Packard.
To view this car and others currently consigned to this auction, please visit the RM website at rmsothebys.com/. 1948 Packard Eight Station Sedan