Year of manufacture1957
Frank Buck, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania (acquired circa 1983)
Ray Masciarella, Highland Beach, Florida (acquired by April 1990)
Larry Gerig, Fort Wayne, Indiana (acquired from the above by June 1997)
Current Owner (acquired from the above)
NCRS Annual Meet, Indianapolis, Indiana, June 1997 (Top Flight Award)
National Corvette Certification Board Meet, Bloomington, Indiana, June 1997 (Gold Certified)
Chevy/VetteFest Nationals – Spinner Concourse, Chicago, Illinois, November 1997 (Gold Spinner Certificate, Triple Crown Award)
Corvette Classics Museum, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 2001
In 1957, Chevrolet endowed the Corvette with even greater performance by introducing a new 283 cid V-8 that was available with Rochester fuel injection, bringing output to an unprecedented 283 hp. A host of racing equipment was also offered, and well-known privateer Dr. Dick Thompson showcased the model’s potential with his 1957 SCCA B-Production Championship. Despite the many advantages of fuel injection, only 14% of the Corvettes built in 1957 were so optioned, making them far rarer than their carbureted brethren.
While the earliest history of chassis 102281 is not well established, it is believed that the car participated in some sports car races in the Southeast. This fuel-injected Corvette was equipped at some point with components associated with the rare and desirable RPO 684 option package, which included heavy-duty brakes with air ducting, a significantly stiffened suspension, and a competition steering box. Approximately 50 examples were so equipped by the manufacturer, and as there is currently no documentation available to prove otherwise, this car could conceivably be one of them.
Similarly, this Corvette is finished in a very rare color, Arctic Blue, which was applied by the factory to only 487 examples in 1957. Though it is impossible to know if this car was originally finished in Arctic Blue (having been built prior to the model’s famed “tank sticker” system), the beautiful color nevertheless distinguishes 102281.
According to model specialist Jim Gessner, this car was owned during the 1980s by Frank Buck, a well-known Corvette collector who is currently on the board of the Elegance at Hershey. Mr. Buck commissioned a restoration by Corvette specialist Jim Purvis in late 1984 before selling it to Ray Masciarella of Highland Beach, Florida.
Chassis 102281 later passed to Larry Gerig of Fort Wayne, Indiana, and he presented the car at three high-level Corvette shows during 1997, winning an NCRS Top Flight Award, Bloomington Gold certification, and a Gold Spinner Certificate. By virtue of earning all three of these important awards, the car was certified as a Triple Crown winner in November 1997. The rare Fuelie was then displayed for some time at the Corvette Classics Museum in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Equipped with a hardtop and steel wheels with dog-dish hubcaps, this beautifully presented Corvette continues to display the benefits of the well-maintained, award-winning restoration. Its fuel-injected engine, heavy-duty brakes, and rare color combination distinguish this car from more pedestrian examples, resulting in one of the most collectible solid-axle Corvettes to appear at auction in recent memory. This award winner would make a fantastic complement to any collection, offering Corvette enthusiasts a particularly well-equipped example of the celebrated ’57 Fuelie.