The Aston Martin DB2/4 is fit for a king
As the second model to wear the company saviour’s initials, Aston Martin launched the DB2/4 to an ever-receptive audience at the 1953 Earls Court Motor Show. Inheriting the GT qualities of its two-seat DB2 forebear – including its W.O. Bentley-designed straight-six – the new car would allow two more (albeit rather small) people to enjoy its long-distance touring capabilities, thanks to a supplementary row of ‘occasional’ seats. These could be folded down to create a gargantuan luggage capacity, access to which was through one of the earliest known applications of the hatchback. This was a most welcome move away from the ‘letterbox’ aperture of its predecessor, and it now meant even the most demanding luggage requirements of a couple on tour could be addressed.
The choice of royals and racers alike
It was perhaps these better-rounded GT capabilities that attracted royal ownership. The kings of both Belgium and Jordan were known to keep DB2/4s on their personal fleets – as was the Duke of Kent, cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. Further ownership endorsements came from racing driver Peter Collins, land-speed legend Donald Campbell and, albeit more predictably, David Brown himself.
The example pictured here is an early-1954 car, the recipient of a recent body-off restoration and mechanical update. It’s currently for sale via official Aston Martin Heritage specialist Nicholas Mee & Company in West London; you can view the original advert in the Classic Driver Market.
Photos: Nicholas Mee & Company