"The first production road Triumph TR2 left the Triumph works at Canley in August 1953; thereafter production was very slow for several months. Just 300 cars were built prior to 1954 of which only a very few stayed within the UK. At the start of 1954, production increased and TR2s began to dominate the home market. This was due to Triumphs determination that a reasonable proportion would stay in the UK, whereas MG, Morgan and Jaguar were mainly exporting. The early TR2s were sought after mainly because of their performance, low running costs, availability and low price. Such was the success of the TR2 that in 1954 one entered the famous Mille Miglia event where it came 28th out of 450 starters and in the Le Mans 24 Hours of that year another TR2 came 5th in class. Both results emphasised the strength and performance of the cars.
This early Triumph was one of the very first right hand drive TR2s to leave the factory. Being built in 1953 as a ‘Long Door’ example, this car has the aluminium bonnet and spare wheel cover. Purchased by Mr. Stephen Taylor in 1973, the car has been in his ownership for nearly 50 years and was seen regularly at club rallies. In 1975, the car was repainted in red, a colour which was not available on the very early TR2s, as his wife did not like the original green colour. Supplied with a good black interior, a hardtop and the original weather equipment including side screens, this car has a UK V5 registration document and the continuation buff logbook. The car starts and runs well but requires some work to the boot floor and cosmetic restoration to bring it back to its former glory. Being such a rare early example, it is eligible for a number of local and continental events."