• Year of manufacture 
    1920
  • Mileage 
    1 713 mi / 2 757 km
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    276
  • Reference number 
    1658
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Exterior brand colour 
    other
  • Location
    United States
  • Exterior colour 
    Other

Description

Vehicle No. H8391

Engine No. 8437

Making their debut at the inaugural Indianapolis 500 in 1911, the Stutz Motor Company, initially named the Ideal Motor Car Company until 1913, was founded by Harry C. Stutz alongside his friend and experienced car builder Henry F. Campbell. Assembled in under five weeks, the Stutz Series A racing car would earn an 11th place finish in Indianapolis earning the slogan "The Car That Made Good in a Day." Evolving from this proven Indy racer, the closely related Stutz Bearcat would emerge in 1912, serving as the car at the Indianapolis 500 the same year. Crowned America's racing champion after winning the AAA Championship Car season in 1915, the following year a Stutz Bearcat broke the Atlantic-Pacific Trans-America record further establishing the Bearcat's stellar sporting reputation.

Continuing to evolve from the initial, stripped-down racer for the road which featured very little besides a monocle windscreen for protection, the Series H would arrive in 1919, featuring an enclosed cockpit with cut-down sides and redesigned chassis to accommodate the new in-house engine. After 1917, Stutz now had the facilities to manufacture their own engines, resulting in a new 360 cubic-inch, dual-camshaft, sixteen-valve, four-cylinder engine rated at 83 horsepower.

With known history beginning with an AACA publication directly listing C.R. Stanford as the owner in 1961, this 1920 Series H Bearcat also includes prior ownership from noted Stutz enthusiasts Raymond Katzell. As the editor of the prize-winning book, The Splendid Stutz, Dr. Katzell was well-versed in all-things Stutz and also owned two other Stutz models in addition to this 1920 Bearcat. Passing to another avid Stutz collector around early 2003, the new owner would subsequently restore this example to a very high standard both mechanically and cosmetically.

Acquired by The Gregorie Neck Collection around November of 2008, this 1920 Stutz Series H Bearcat comes finished in an appealing dark red exterior with contrasting black fenders and painted Buffalo wire wheels. Finished off with bright red chassis accents and black folding canvas top along with a black painted radiator shell, black painted headlamps with polished nickel rings, and a period correct nickel spot lamp, the Bearcat notably omits heavy brightwork and anything else that might slow you down.

Currently displaying 1,706 miles at the time of cataloging, the mileage of this example is believed to reflect the total distance accumulated following the extensive restoration completed in the early 2000s. Combining excellent, sporting looks with desirable performance capabilities, the Stutz Bearcat virtually assures the new owner access to a number of desirable touring events for which it is very well suited.

Please note this vehicle is titled by its engine number 8427


Broad Arrow Auctions
377, Fisher Road
Suite H
Grosse Pointe  48230  Michigan
United States
Contact Person Kontaktperson
First name 
Broad Arrow Group

Phone 
+1 (313) 312-0780