1916 Saxon Roadstar

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1916
  • Chassis number 
    956
  • Lot number 
    629
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

1916 Saxon 12.1hp Two-seater Roadster
Registration no. SV 5341
Chassis no. 956

Established in the heart of the U.S motor industry – Detroit, Michigan – in 1913 the Saxon Motor Car Co. bravely entered the fray of the burgeoning motor industry as a late comer at a time when Henry Ford's Model T commanded centre stage. Their early advertising boasted "a high grade, well designed, carefully built, two passenger automobile with four cylinder motor, standard tread and other standard features, produced by an experienced organisation, soundly financed and well managed". Would such self-proclaimed credentials enable the fledgling company to eat into the market dominance of Henry Ford – only time would tell. Their new four cylinder car was attractively priced at significantly less than the Model T, was conventional in most respects and was well manufactured under the watchful eye of Saxon President Hugh Chalmers. Initial production was about 1,000 cars per month. The Demotcar factory proved hopelessly inadequate for such numbers and production was moved to the Abbott factory. Production numbers were about 12,000 units in 1915 rising to almost double that number in 1916 – so here was a car that found its own place in the market and was both reliable and priced competitively. Sadly over-trading, an over ambitious plan to expand production and war time shortage of materials saw the demise of this plucky manufacturer in 1922. It deserved to succeed.

This car was imported from the United States in 1992, having been on display there for about 40 years in the Auto Museum at Bridgewater, New York. One of only a handful recorded in the UK by the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain, the car benefited from a rebuilt engine carried out on upon arrival in the UK and has since been extensively rallied in Veteran Car Club events during the present long term ownership. It comes to the market only because of the lady owner/driver's failing health.
During this ownership it has been carefully maintained by its enthusiast engineer/owner and has a proven track record of reliability. The car has been preserved to original specification in all major respects and is smartly presented in its original blue and black livery - (it had been over-painted yellow when it arrived in UK) - with black upholstery and varnished wooden wheels. It has been officially dated by the VCC and awarded certificate no. 2067. Gas and oil lamps are fitted with a running board-mounted gas generator, a spare two gallon petrol tank, a hand klaxon gives audible warning of approach, a later self starter is fitted and a concession to safety is the fitting of discrete flashing indicators and a dynamo. Here is a most practical and easy to rally Edwardian car with a proven rally and event record. We advise the usual careful recommissioning following a period of inactivity due to the vendor's illness. The car is offered with a Swansea V5C registration document and VCC Dating Certificate issued in 1995, along with a dis-assembled spare engine which prospective purchasers are advised to inspect for completeness .