1939 Salmson S4E Tourer Project Chassis no. to be advised
'For 1939 two models were made, the 1,730cc S4-61 and the 2,312cc S4E. The latter had hydraulic brakes, torsion bar front suspension instead of transverse springs and a slightly longer wheelbase, though body styles, now reduced to three, were similar and there was little to distinguish the two models externally.' 'The Beaulieu Encyclopedia of the Automobile'.
The French Société Des Moteurs Salmson was a pioneering force in the development of aircraft and aero-engines. Indeed, many historians consider Salmson's as the most notable of the radial aero-engines produced during WWI. When war was over, Salmson diversified into other activities including manufacturing machine tools and automobile bodies, and from 1919 onwards produced a lightweight cyclecar - a built-under license GN - of which several thousand were made. The first of Salmson's own designs, a sidevalve-engined voiturette, appeared in 1921. From 1922 Salmson commenced production of a more advanced engine of the twin-overhead-camshaft type. This kind of power unit had been seen prior to WWI but Salmson was the first to put one into series production and twin-overhead-camshaft engines would remain a fixture of its range into the 1950s.
This S4E was purchased as a body-less rolling chassis from John Champ in 1997, since when it has been stripped and partially rebuilt with the beginnings of a new body. It had been the late owner's intention to install a more robust engine to create a VSCC-eligible sports special. This Lot is sold strictly as viewed.