Salmson 2300 S number 85126 from 1954
The perfect blend of French style and performance
Introduced in 1953 at the Paris Motor Show, the Salmson 2300 S was presented as the model which would enable the Salmson Engine Company to restore its reputation and return to good health financially. To achieve this, Jacques Bernard, its new director, instructed his engineers to design a sports car with a medium-sized engine, a model no longer in production in France at the time. Its development was assigned to Eugène Martin, a racing driver and talented engineer; thanks to his skills, the 2300cc engine, then the only mass-produced French four-cylinder unit with valves operated by dual overhead camshafts, gained in power to produce 105bhp at 5000rpm. In doing so, the 2300 S represented the renewal of the marque and proved very successful with the public. At this point, production began of a first series of 38 cars with the involvement of the coachbuilder Esclassan. Then, during 1954, Henri Chapron followed suit and built 121 Sports-type bodies (with chassis numbers 85084 to 85204).
The car consigned to Aguttes is chassis number 85126 and is part of that series. Its history mentions that it was bought in November 1954 by Monsieur Paul Mazard, the Salmson dealer in Nantes; he used it as a demonstrator with the registration number 995 CJ 44 before selling it in May 1955 to its first owner, Stanislas Motte, who entered it (registered as 804 BE 59) in the 1956 Tour de France automobile as car number 68. Acquired by Monsieur Letreguilly on 18 October 1967, it returned to the Loire-Atlantique (registered as 595 FT 44), where it was laid up for many years.
The previous owner found the car in 2004 and decided to carry out a complete restoration. He began with its original engine, which was rebuilt with a new crankshaft, bearings and 1700NF bearing shells, new pistons and piston rings, and new 20XT valves. The cylinder head was resurfaced, and the original camshafts refitted. The clutch, brakes, radiator and water pump were reconditioned. The bodywork also received the utmost care: it was sanded down, primed and completely repainted in 2006. The wheels were restored, stripped down, sanded and repainted, together with all the chromework. The following year, the interior was completely refurbished. Once restored, 85126 took part in many historic events until the Mille Miglia in 2011 and the Tour Auto in 2014. Following the French event, the car was thoroughly serviced, the steering flector was replaced and the safety device between the driveshaft and the rear axle (which had failed at Le Castellet) was changed. Since then, the car has covered only a few hundred kilometres.
This model – which competed with distinction in period in rallies such as the Lyon-Charbonnières, the Coupe des Alpes, the Liège-Rome-Liège or the Monte-Carlo – is now rare and was much appreciated when new for its performance and elegant styling. It is eligible for the finest historic events in Europe, with the advantage that it is so rarely seen on the road that it will be accepted immediately. Indeed, that is exactly what attracted its present owner!
This car will be sold during an auction sale organized by AGUTTES Auction House.
It will take place in Paris, at the Espace Champerret, France, on March the 17th, 2019.
The digital catalog will be available very soon.
Please contact us for any further details.
+ 33 616 914 228
+33 147 459 301