1966 Porsche 911
Year of manufacture1966
When the 911 was released, Porsche had been thinking about its design for over a decade. Ever since the classic 356 was introduced in 1948, many thought of it as the ultimate sports car. Everything Porsche learned in a generation of racing and testing went into the new 911, which was revealed to the public in 1963. The 911 proved to be faster, nimbler, as attractive, and far roomier than its predecessor. A new generation of Porsche had been born.
This 911 left the Porsche factory on 4 April 1966 and was delivered to a dealer in Culver City, California. The Porsche then moved to Aero V.W. Inc. in Inglewood, California, according to the copy of the Porsche Kardex. The previous owner retained this 911 for about a decade, having had the original 2.0-liter, 130 hp flat-six engine rebuilt by Power Tech in New Jersey. It was acquired by the current owner in 2015.
Although this 911 was in excellent condition when acquired, the current owner commissioned Coachworks Restorations to undertake a comprehensive restoration to match the 1965 911 that is on display at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. Finished in Slate Grey over Red, no expense was spared to restore this 911 to perfection. Recently, an estimated 850 hours of professional time was spent to elevate this Porsche to the highest level of quality. The attention to detail is evident in every aspect of this classic 911. Since completion in early 2019, has only been driven test mileage and remains in pristine condition. The original factory tool kit and copy of the Kardex accompany the car.
Today, fine examples of the desirable early short-wheelbase 911s are in great demand worldwide. This Porsche is ideal for exhibition, club events, or rapid and enjoyable touring, and would make a great addition to any driving enthusiast’s collection.To view this car and others currently consigned to this auction, please visit the RM website at rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo19.