The 996 GT3 R was introduced in 1999 as a replacement for the (last) air cooled 993 RSR. Before its introduction, it was extensively tested at Weissach and Paul Ricard. Reduction in weight over the GT3 road car was achieved by carbon fibre body panels and plexi-glass rear and side windows. The front nose section contained additional air inlets for engine and brake cooling. A steel roll cage was welded into the body and the car was fitted with a full air-jack system, fire extinguisher and racing seat with safety harness.
The suspension was similar to the GT3 road car in principle, but with variable springs, adjustable shocks, anti-roll bars and spherical joints. Large brake discs without ABS were fitted, too.
The 3.6-litre type M96/77 engine developed 405bhp at 8.200rpm when fitted with a 43.1 mm air restrictor plate, thereby meeting class regulations. The engine was fitted with a Bosch Motronic 3.1 engine management system. Other engine modifications included titanium conrods and valves, a racing exhaust system, as well as a dry-sump lubrication with an oil-water heat exchanger. A 6-speed sequential manual transmission was also installed. Notable wins for the GT3 R include class wins at the 1999 and 2000 24 Hours of Le Mans.
The 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RSR, as presented here for sale, was the ultimate development of the 996 GT3 racing derivats, featuring a 450bhp, 3.8-litre flat-6 engine and a 6-speed sequential manual transmission. Reduction in weight was achieved by employing even more carbon fibre panels. Only 37 RSRs were factory built, although a lot of R and RS were upgraded to RSR spec.
Specific history of this car:
Chassis 693062 was built in 2004 for the US-based semi-Works Team Flying Lizard Motorsport as an original GT3 RSR. They entered the car successfully in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS):
• 20 Mar, 12h of Sebring, Fogarty, Law, van Overbeek, Practice and T-car only
• 27 Jun, ALMS Mid-Ohio, Neiman, Pechnik, Practice and T-car only
• 5 Jul, ALMS Lime Rock, Neiman, Pechnik, 7th
• 18 Jul, 2h45 of Sonoma, Neiman, Pechnik, 8th
• 25 Jul, ALMS Portland, Neiman, Pechnik, 6th
• 8 Aug, ALMS Mosport, Neiman, Pechnik, 6th
• 22 Aug, ALMS Road America, Neiman, Pechnik, 6th
• 25 Sep, Petit Le Mans, Neiman, Pechnik, Fogarty, 12th
• 16 Oct, 4h of Laguna Seca, Neiman, Pechnik,Fogarty, 10th