1957 Porsche 356A Carrera GS
Year of manufacture1957
Number of seats2
- Matching numbers example
- Delivered new to the USA / Left-hand drive
- Presented in original colours of Ivory with Brown Leatherette interior
- Fitted with desirable GT specification upgrades including rare Rudge wheels
- Supplied with factory Kardex, Porsche Certificate of Authenticity & new FIVA Pass
- Available following an engine out service & gearbox rebuild by Prill Porsche Classics in May 2021
Manufactured by Dr Ing h c F Porsche AG in Germany in June 1957 to United States specification and dispatched by Glöckler, Frankfurt. Chassis #100830 was painted Ivory with Brown Leatherette interior which is how the car is presented today. The factory Kardex details a Mr Archie Fifley of Dallas, Texas as the first owner. The Carrera GS would remain in the United States for the next fifty-three years changing ownership as evidenced by several Certificate of Titles contained in the history file.
The Porsche was imported into the UK by Porsche enthusiast Mr John Ruston and entrusted to Maxted-Page Ltd.
The current owner acquired #100830 from Maxted-Page Ltd in 2011 and agreed to a comprehensive list of work to bring the 356 up to his required high standards. At this time the owner decided to fit the extremely rare and desirable Rudge knock-on wheels which were sourced from Willhoit of Longbeach, USA at great expense. The original 1500 GS 547/1 Carrera four-cam engine was completely rebuilt with twin Solex carburettors by Prill Porsche Classics.
The history file contains a number of invoices which document the work carried out to #100830 by Maxted-Page, Christoph Tanner and Prill Porsche Classics - some of the most well-respected in the Porsche 356 world. The owner had a very keen eye for detail and there is correspondence charting his decision-making process during these works. Chassis #100830 wears numerous desirable 356 GT upgrades which include GT seats, bumpers, cooling ducts, oil cooler and side trims.
Once complete the owner wanted to use #100830 for regularity events with his family so reliability was paramount. With rallies in mind, sensible additions (all reversible should the next owner choose) were made which include; dash mounted Brantz rally meter, lap belts, Blaupunkt Essen radio with MP3, battery master switch, hand held fire extinguisher, Michelin XAS tyres and a complete overhaul of the heating system. The 356 proved both reliable and effective with the owner winning the 2017 edition of the Blue Train Challenge with his son.
In April / May 2021, the Carrera GS benefitted from a comprehensive service at Prill Porsche Classics and had the following work completed;
- Engine out service which included; adjusting the tappet clearances, removal of cam covers and cleaning of head faces, measuring the cam timing, new spark plugs, fan belt, oil & fuel filters.
- Gearbox inspection and ratio change with new syncro’s and needle rollers.
- Overhaul of the braking system including; lap shoes to drums (front & rear), new rear brake lines, adjusting brake shoes and bleeding the brakes.
- Torque hub nuts & re-pin
- Balance carburettors
- Check and adjust ignition timing
- Clutch adjustment
This rare and attractive four-cam powered 356 is now available in excellent mechanical condition and having received a full detail following its service, presents extremely well.
Along with a properly documented history file, UK registration Certificate (V5C) and Porsche Letter of Origin, this 356 is accompanied by the much sought-after booklet; ‘Porsche Carrera Guide for Engines Type 1500GS, 1600GS, 2000GS’, spare Rudge wheel, complete 356A Carrera tool kit and a miscellaneous spares kit.
Photo Credit: Riiko-Andre Nuud, Riiko Photo