c. 1908 Phoenix 10hp Sports Registration no. S 177 Chassis no. 88187
Taking its name from the Phoenix Cycling Club, of which company founder J Van Hooydonk was a member, the Phoenix Motor Company was established in London in 1903 before moving to Letchworth, Hertfordshire in 1911. The firm first produced motorcycles and then tricycles before introducing a conventional but short-lived light car as early as 1904. Designed by its works manager, Albert E Bowyer-Lowe, Phoenix's first true car - a twin-cylinder 10hp voiturette - appeared in 1908 and continued in production until 1915 alongside a more modern 11.9hp four. Cars continued to be produced in small numbers until 1924 when the company went into liquidation, while a tiny handful left the factory in 1925. The Letchworth works was later used for the manufacture of Ascot and Arab cars.
A good quality car that was being driven until very recently, this pretty Phoenix sporting voiturette with boat-tail skiff body is powered by a twin-cylinder engine with three-speed transmission and chain drive. In 1962, this car was sold from the famous Sword Collection to the Ferranti Collection, from which it was purchased and re-commissioned in 1997. A Morris Dynastart was added shortly after purchase. A catalogue from the 1962 sale catalogue is available, and the car also comes with copies of instruction manuals, various articles and photographs, a V5 registration document, and sundry invoices for work carried out.