1961 OSCA 1600

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1961
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    132
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other

Description

In 1947, the Maserati brothers left the company that bore their surname to begin a new venture – Officine Specializzate Costruzione Automobili, or “OSCA” – with the sole intent to build competition cars. After a few years, the company also began constructing small-displacement road cars in a limited quantity – known then and now for their jewel-like precision and performance. Of the believed 128 total OSCA 1600 GTs built, chassis 0019 is one of just two known examples bodied by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan, the other residing in the collection of Corrado Lopresto. Utilizing Touring’s famed Superleggera construction of aluminum skin over a small-tube frame resulted in a capable performer when paired with OSCA’s 1,568 cc twin-cam motor. According to a report from Maserati historian Dr. Adolfo Orsi, chassis 0019 was initially exhibited at the 1961 Torino Auto Show on the Carrozzeria Touring stand, sold new to an Italian owner, and subsequently featured in many magazines and at concours events.

While in Europe, the car received a restoration overseen by Carlo Anderloni, son of Carrozzeria Touring’s founder and based upon Touring’s original renderings, copies of which accompany the car. More recently, this 1600 GT was re-trimmed and repainted in period-correct Celeste Chiaro by a specialist in Belgium.

This rare OSCA represents one of Italy’s finest small sports cars, stylishly wrapped in handsome and exclusive Superleggera coachwork, and would be a prized addition to any collection.