1938 Morris Eight Tourer Registration no. not UK registered Chassis no. S2E207274
Morris's hugely successful replacement for the Minor was first shown to the public at the 1934 Motor Show. Intended to compete with successful rivals such as the Ford Model Y, the Eight boasted a new and more powerful 918cc sidevalve engine, stiffer box-section chassis, Bishop Cam steering, hydraulic brakes - a rarity on cars of its class - hydraulic shock absorbers, electric fuel pump and wire wheels. Now constructed entirely of pressed steel, the body was larger than that of its predecessor and could be had in saloon or tourer forms, the latter either two-seater or four-seater.
This delightful Morris Eight Tourer has been the subject of an 18-year, 'body-off', full restoration - completed in 2010 - and is described by the vendor as in mint condition, better than it came out of the factory. The rebuild included all new panels and wood; powder-coated chassis; original new-old-stock engine; overhauled gearbox and differential; dual-core radiator; and all brightwork re-chromed. All parts are either new or reconditioned. Only some 5,000 miles have been covered since the restoration's completion. Finished in Old English White with Antique Red interior, the car comes complete with canvas soft top, full tonneau cover, and side screens, and is offered with instruction manuals, an old-style logbook, Belgian paperwork, a selection of photographs, and assorted other documents.