Coys Auction - The Spirit of Motor Cars
Berkshire SL5 7JX
Saturday 4th October 2008
Motor Cars at 15:00
The Morgan Motor Co. was founded in 1910 by H. F. S. Morgan with great encouragement from his father, the Rev. Prebendary H. G. Morgan, it is still being run by direct descendants of these two gentlemen and methods of assembly not having changed a great deal as Sir John Harvey Jones discovered. The first cars were three wheelers and Morgans remained faithful to this layout until 1939. However, they bowed to the inevitable and in 1936 reluctantly added a fourth wheel, the result initially being fitted with a Ford 10 engine and gearbox and known as the 4/4, which eventually turned into the Plus 4 and then the Plus 8.
Another feature which stood the test of time is the system of independent front suspension by sliding pillars and coil springs which is in use in slightly modified form to this day.