MGA 1600

Summary

  • Chassis number 
    GHNL2/101957
  • Lot number 
    201
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

c.1962 MGA 1600 Mark II Roadster
Registration no. not UK registered
Chassis no. GHNL2/101957

Although the EX182 prototype debuted at Le Mans in 1955, by the time the actual race came around the design of what would be known as the MGA had effectively been finalised, the event itself being little more than a useful opportunity to check that everything was as it should be. Replacing the traditional T-Series MGs, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1,489cc B-Series engine. Initially the latter produced 68bhp at 5,500rpm, although this was later raised to 72bhp at the same revs to further improve performance. Running gear was based on that of the TF, with independent front suspension and a live rear axle, but as far as its road manners were concerned, the far superior MGA was in an entirely different league. Clad in a stylish aerodynamic body and capable of topping 95mph, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling 13,000 units in its first full year of production.

After the disappointments of the Twin Cam model, engine enlargement was seen as the way forward. The result was a capacity increase from 1,489cc to 1,588cc that raised maximum power to 79.5bhp and boosted torque by 17 percent. Acceleration was improved and the MGA in '1600' form was now a true 100mph-plus car. To cope with the extra performance, disc front brakes were adopted and the suspension up-rated. The more-refined coupé version, with wind-up windows and lockable doors, continued as before while the roadster now came with sliding side windows. Introduced in 1961 and built for little more than a year, the face-lifted 1600 Mark II came with a revised and enlarged (to 1,622cc) B-Series engine and further improved performance courtesy of an extra 13bhp and raised overall gearing

This left-hand drive MGA 1600 Mark II was delivered new to Sweden and still retains the radiator muff (controlled from inside the cabin) - a cold-climate export-model feature that keeps the engine warmer in winter. The MG has been stored in a workshop since 1982 and has covered only a handful of miles (probably less than 10) since then. Nevertheless, it has received routine maintenance during that time. The recorded mileage of 33,326 is believed genuine. Substantially original, the car will almost certainly require re-commissioning before returning to the road and thus is sold strictly as viewed. There is no registration document with this Lot, although it is hoped that a Swedish title will have been obtained at the time of the sale.