"Originally launched at the 1953 Motor Show, the MG TF was greeted with mixed reactions from enthusiasts and journalists alike. To the Abingdon engineers, led by Cecil Cousins, it was a model that was sufficiently different from its predecessors and yet continued the traditional T-Series classic lines and the end result was very pleasing to the eye. Interior wise and in keeping with the external modifications, the cockpit layout was quite radically different to that of its predecessor and formed a comfortable and pleasant place to be. Individually adjustable seats were provided in place of the normal bench type seating and the facia panel was completely new with a welcome return to octagonal instrumentation. Often referred to as 'the last of the square riggers' the MG TF gained this title due to its very strong resemblance to the pre-war MG Midgets.
This lovely example of this British classic is presented in Burgundy coachwork with red trim and new black hood. Originally sent to the United States, this TF 1500 was imported to the UK in 2012 to our vendor in Middlesex. Upon arrival the left hand drive example was swiftly stripped and over the next two years fully rebuilt as a right hand drive example with 1250 engine and high gear conversion, sitting on new wire wheels and ready to enjoy. The history file with the car is impressive and includes many bills from the United States from the previous owner, Pastor Sidney J Lambert of Vermont, who it appears had owned the car since the 70’s. Since the car has been in the UK the invoices for parts can be found in a bulging history file and the car frankly presents as new. The MG motor cars of this era are often used in rallies both here and in Europe as they are simple to maintain and spritely on country roads and this is no exception with evidence of the car being invited to numerous local shows and having been thoroughly enjoyed but our owner.