"The following quote on the MG N type Magnette from The Autocar seems both apt for this car and for this auction, 'It is not surprising that with the makers' knowledge of racing... it should be capable of giving as high a speed as 80mph. What comes as a revelation is the ease with which on Brooklands that speed is reached and held. The rev needle hovering between the 5,000 and 5,500 marks, the whole mechanism feeling as one, and with no sense of adventure attached to such speeds.'
The 1930s saw the popularity of small capacity six-cylinder cars increase. MG became part of this wave with the introduction, in 1931, of the Magna F. This car used the 1271cc six-cylinder version of the overhead camshaft engine, used in the 1929 MG M type Midget and the 1930 Wolseley Hornet. A significant amount of improvement and revision was applied to this engine unit, known as the ‘KD’ engine, to develop the 56hp version carried over to the ‘NA’ Magnette of 1934. The new ‘NA’ had a revised chassis and the body was now supported by rubber mounted outriggers. This new set-up gave a much more comfortable ride.
This wonderful little car was purchased by the Vendor in 1963 for the princely sum of £40. In the history file accompanying this car is a picture showing what a sorry state it was in when it was bought. The vendor, a very capable and enthusiastic engineer, decided to dedicate any spare time he had to restoring the MG to its former glory. When purchased there was no paint on the car to show the original colour, therefore it was painted in its current shade of two-tone blue, being a factory option for MG’s of the period.
After six years the NA Magnette was ready and, fittingly, had one of its first run outs as the wedding car for the vendor and his wife. The paperwork accompanying this car contains one of the most comprehensive history files we have seen, it shows details of every single penny spent on the car including details of oil changes, clutch plate drawings and a plethora of original invoices and correspondence relating to the car.
There was no knowledge of the cars former history available at the time of our vendors purchase in 1963, however, it was discovered, on registration with the MG Car Club, that AAD 359 had competed in the 1935 Monte Carlo Rally, finishing 77th overall and 26th in the lighter class.The car was purchased and driven by the British pair, E Denzil-Lee and Charles Lewin. The history file contains copies of the original purchase invoice together with copies of pictures taken during the world famous rally.
This amazing matching numbers car with its interesting story is offered to sale with a V5C registration document and although not fitted, the original bonnet sides, and what is believed to be the original number plate, along with boxes of new spares and many items replaced during the owners tenure. Also included is the aforementioned comprehensive history file with photographs showing what must be one of the most interesting cars for sale today."