1959 MG A

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1959
  • Chassis number 
    GHN 93135
  • Lot number 
    509
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
Registration no. 152 ALH
Chassis no. GHN 93135

Introduced in 195, replacing the traditional T-Series MGs, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1,489cc B-Series engine. Initially the latter produced 68bhp at 5,500rpm, although this was later raised to 72bhp at the same revs to further improve performance. Running gear was based on that of the preceding TF, with independent front suspension and a live rear axle, but as far as its road manners were concerned, the far superior MGA was in an entirely different league. Clad in a stylish aerodynamic body and capable of topping 95mph, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling 13,000 units in its first full year of production.

After the disappointments of the Twin Cam model, engine enlargement was seen as the way forward. The result was a capacity increase from 1,489cc to 1,588cc that raised maximum power to 79.5bhp and boosted torque by 17 percent. Acceleration was improved and the MGA in '1600' form was now a true 100mph-plus car. To cope with the extra performance, disc front brakes were adopted and the suspension up-rated. The more-refined coupé version, with wind-up windows and lockable doors, continued as before while the roadster now came with sliding side windows. The model was upgraded to Mark II specification with a 1,622cc engine in 1961.

This MGA 1600 roadster was sold new in 1960 to one John Trevor Hughes of Enfield, Middlesex. The car comes with its original old-style logbook recording a change of engine in 1970, the replacement 1,622cc unit being from a Riley. This is confirmed by a BMIHT letter on file, which lists the original colour scheme as red with black trim and grey top, and states that the car was delivered with disc wheels and De Luxe seats. The Mark II radiator grille is another later upgrade.

Its late owner purchased the MG in 1985 from a Mr H Freeman of Greeting St Mary, Suffolk. Following its acquisition, the car was treated to an ongoing total restoration with no expense spared, which included fitting a five-speed manual gearbox, an alternator, and a brake servo. The 1985 purchase receipt is in the history file, which also contains a substantial quantity of restoration invoices, assorted technical information, various magazine articles, a V5C Registration Certificate, and a quantity of MoTs (most recent expired May 2018). In short: this is a well restored and sensibly upgraded MGA presented in very good condition throughout.