1959 MGA 1600 Roadster Registration no. 2477 EL Chassis no. GHN71075 Engine no. 16GAU2634
Although the EX182 prototype debuted at Le Mans in 1955, by the time the actual race came around the design of what would be known as the MGA had effectively been finalised, the event itself being little more than a useful opportunity to check that everything was as it should be. Replacing the traditional T-Series MGs, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1,489cc B-Series engine. Initially the latter produced 68bhp at 5,500rpm, although this was later raised to 72bhp at the same revs to further improve performance. Running gear was based on that of the TF, with independent front suspension and a live rear axle, but as far as its road manners were concerned, the far superior MGA was in an entirely different league. Clad in a stylish aerodynamic body and capable of topping 95mph, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling 13,000 units in its first full year of production.
After the disappointments of the Twin Cam model, engine enlargement was seen as the way forward. The result was a capacity increase from 1,489cc to 1,588cc that raised maximum power to 79.5bhp and boosted torque by 17 percent. Acceleration was improved and the MGA in '1600' form was now a true 100mph-plus car. To cope with the extra performance, disc front brakes were adopted and the suspension up-rated. The more-refined coupé version, with wind-up windows and lockable doors, continued as before while the roadster now came with sliding side windows.
This MGA 1600 roadster was purchased by the lady vendor's husband in 2001. Works carried out since then include conversion to wire wheels; the installation of a restored Motorola radio; fitting a fully rebuilt and balanced engine (in 2008); and new side screens (2009). '2477 EL' comes with extensive history including a hand written record of a full restoration carried out in 1971-1975; details of a bare metal re-spray by Roneil Repairs Ltd in 1986; heritage certificate; V5C registration document; and expired MoT certificates dating back to 1999 showing some 6,000 miles covered since then. Serviced and maintained by Carsure Services, Reading from 2004 to 2012, the MG has not been used since 2012 but will have been re-commissioned prior to the sale. Its last major outing was to Le Mans in 2010. The only notified deviations from factory specification are negative earth electrics and an unleaded compatible cylinder head.