Although the EX182 prototype debuted at Le Mans in 1955, by the time the actual race came around the design of what would be known as the MGA had effectively been finalised, the event itself being little more than a useful opportunity to check that everything was as it should be. Replacing the traditional T-Series MGs, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1,489cc B-Series engine. Initially the latter produced 68bhp at 5,500rpm, although this was later raised to 72bhp at the same revs to further improve performance. Running gear was based on that of the TF, with independent front suspension and a live rear axle, but as far as its road manners were concerned, the far superior MGA was in an entirely different league. Clad in a stylish aerodynamic body and capable of topping 95mph, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling 13,000 units in its first full year of production.
After the disappointments of the Twin Cam model, engine enlargement was seen as the way forward. The result was a capacity increase from 1,489cc to 1,588cc that raised maximum power to 79.5bhp and boosted torque by 17 percent. Acceleration was improved and the MGA in '1600' form was now a true 100mph-plus car. To cope with the extra performance, disc front brakes were adopted and the suspension up-rated. The more-refined coupé version, with its wind-up windows and lockable doors, continued as before while the roadster now came with sliding side windows.
This matching-numbers MGA 1600 roadster was restored in the UK in the early 2000s and then taken to Greece where it was owned and driven by a shipping magnate's daughter. Winner of many concours awards in Europe, it was brought back to the UK by the current vendor and is described by him as in generally very good condition. The car is offered with a V5 registration document.