1958 MG A

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1958
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Chassis number 
    YD3/996
  • Engine number 
    16G/U/631
  • Lot number 
    183
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Exterior brand colour 
    Ash Green
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Gearbox 
    Manual

Description

You can now book a one-to-one appointment (up to one hour) to view this lot at our central location. Please contact the member of staff associated with this lot to secure your appointment. The health and safety of both our customers and team remains the utmost priority, we are therefore operating to strict COVID-19 guidelines and full instructions will be given when making your appointment.Revered 1,588cc engine producing an impressive 108bhp, the Twin Cam could comfortably exceed 110mph, with Dunlopdisc brakes all roundJust 1,801 Twin Camswere built in the more desirable Roadster configurationIn stunning Ash Green paintwork, believed matching-numbers and fully restored using mostly all original partsAccompanied by a (rare) hard-top and a plethora of paperwork, invoices, and photosIn splendid condition with very good panel gaps and even retains the rare and correct sill trimsConceived as a replacement for the traditional 'T'-Series MGs and clad in a curvaceous aerodynamic body, plus benefiting from independent suspension and rack and pinion steering, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling 13,000 units in its first full year of production.Immensely popular though it was, the 'A' faced stiff competition from the larger-engined Triumph TR3 and Austin-Healey 100/6. Coaxing more power from the standard engine was becoming increasingly difficult, so development concentrated on a twin-overhead-camshaft cylinder head for the B-Series block. Conceived at Cowley by BMC engineer Gerald Palmer and introduced in 1958, the new 1,588cc engine did not disappoint, producing an impressive 108bhp at 6,700rpm. Considerably faster than the standardMGA, and with a pleasingrasp totheengine note, the Twin Cam could comfortably exceed 110mph, and to cope with the increased performance Dunlop 103/4 disc brakes were fitted all round, and Dunlop centre-lock wheels adopted.MG issued a small pink leaflet entitled 'Getting the best from your MGA Twin Cam'which displayedin large letters, "PLEASE READ BEFORE DRIVING". No doubt this was because the car was being used by owners who did not understand the requirements of, what after all, was a road-going racing car. Ahigh price discouraged sales, however, and the model was dropped after just two years. Production totalled just 2,111 examples, with 1,801 cars being in the more desirable and quintessentially British wind-in-your-hair Roadster configuration. Understandably, today the Twin Cam is one of the most sought-after of post-war MG sports cars.The car presented here is a 1958 MGA Twin Cam Roadster, chassis YD3/996, in attractive Ash Green paintwork with a Biscuit interior and a Black soft-top.Believed to be a matching numbers example (although Abingdon did not bother to keep track of any number other than the VIN/chassis!), it was originally delivered new to the US, as were the majority of Twin Cams.Reassuringly though,our vendor contacted theMGA Register Group, sending them a photo of the engine number tag (photo is also listed here) and they confirmed, having checked their database, there werenoduplicates for engine number 16G/U/631, also stating that from a Register perspective, theengine number plate is complete and looks correct for this specificTwin Cam. Furthermore, from a extract of engine numbers the RegisterGroup have on record, they were able to say (in writing) that the engine tags appears original and well within the usual factory variances (i.e. bodies and engines were just picked at will to create cars, so not sequential).The car was repatriated to Lisburn, NIby a Mr Laurence Brush, a real MG aficionado, where, between 1991 and 1995, it underwent a ground-up, fully documented restoration using mostly original parts, including panels (costing c20,000 with all receipts available). These painstaking efforts were rewarded with awin at a high-profile 'Benson & Hedges' Concours event. It was subsequently sold to a MrBryan Field in Southern Ireland, then later to his friendTom Cooney (who had always admired the car) of near Waterford, who owned it between 2011-2015.Our vendor, a real classic car enthusiast, who also owns a big Healey, bought the car in 2015, driving it all the way back home from near Waterford to the East Midlands, stating it just purred all the way home. He and his partner have enjoyed the car immensely, using it as intended but only on dry days, and to attend the Goodwood Revival, whilst dressed in full period military attire.The car is accompanied by a (rare) hard-top, matching tonneau cover and a plethora of paperwork, invoices, photos, books, workshop memoranda, a technical/engineering book and numerous MGA books. The little MGis in simply splendid condition, not Concours (but with the potential to be again), with very good panel gaps and even has the rare and correct sill trims, which are oftenmissing. It is said to drive and perform just as a healthy Twin Cam should, always being well-maintained and utilising Evans waterless coolant, and will easily keep up with todays traffic not bad for a 1958 1.6-litre sportscar!An MGA Twin Cam is highly prized today, especially the Roadster, and one in this sort of condition with such a cherished ownership history, even more so.1958 MGA Twin Cam Roadsterhttps://youtu.be/4kdmEgZgZqstrue