Mercedes have been producing an SL (Sport Leicht) model since 1954 when the landmark 300SL was unveiled. The similarly styled, but mechanically unrelated, 190 followed in 1955, completing the first generation of cars. The second generation SLs began with the 230 of 1963. It was distinguished by its lower waistline, big curved screens and a distinctive optional hardtop that earned the model its nickname, 'Pagoda'. Over its nine years of production, the second generation SL's engine grew in capacity from 2.3-litres (230SL) to 2.5-litres (250SL) and finally to 2.8-litres (280SL). The larger, third generation SL was launched in 1971, initially with just a 3.5-litre V8 engine (350SL) mated to four-speed automatic transmission. The car featured a two-door monocoque bodyshell with independent suspension all round - double wishbone and coil springs at the front and semi-trailing arms and coil springs at the rear. The power assisted steering was Daimler-Benz's own recirculating ball system. Braking was by discs all round, ventilated on the front. The range grew to two models when the 4.5-litre V8 (450SL) derivative arrived the following year, and to three when the 2.8-litre straight-six (280SL) appeared in mainland Europe during 1974. The latter became available in the UK from October 1980 and remained in production until 1985, when it was replaced by the 300SL.
This beautifully presented example having covered just 71,700 miles from new is finished in one of the rarer colours of Almadine Red with a Charcoal Check trim interior. It comes complete with original handbook and service book as well as the original first aid-kit & tool kit.
A rust free example no doubt as a result of being dutifully garaged all her life by her owner from new Mr Fred Williams, the ex-Chairman of Tranmere Rovers Football Club. Mr Williams used the car as his daily drive for the first ten years of ownership before retiring her for weekend and occasional use until ill health in 2005. His son and daughter- in- law then took ownership of the car, as shown on the registration documents. The matching hard top is in very good order as is the genuine OEM soft top which look like new.
Service records from the original Mercedes service book show:
06/10/1986 - P.D.I. 30/04/1987 - 3,716 Miles - Newgate Mercedes Chester 04/12/1987 - 9,596 Miles - Road Range Mercedes 25/05/1988 - 14,052 Miles - Road Range Mercedes 26/04/1989 - 20,498 Miles - Road Range Mercedes 11/05/1990 - 27,886 Miles - Road Range Mercedes 20/12/1990 - 34,802 Miles - Road Range Mercedes 22/10/1992 - 40,980 Miles - Road Range Mercedes 10/10/1993 - 47,890 Miles - Greenfield Motor Services 12/12/1996 - 54,167 Miles - Greenfield Motor Services 10/10/2002 - 60,152 Miles - Greenfield Motor Services 06/07/2004 - 65,122 Miles - Greenfield Motor Services 16/10/2014 - 71,624 Miles - A.Bradley Autos (MB Specialist)
This car has benefitted from a recent re-commissioning having been garaged and SORN for the past nine years following the previous owner's ill health. The recent work has included servicing, MoT, brake overhaul and some localised paint refinishing and mechanical refreshing.
Parts recently replaced during recommissioning were:
•Water pump & thermostat •Distributor cap, rotor, leads, plugs •2 x electric window switches •2 x rear calipers & pads •Oil & filter •Coolant flush & new antifreeze •Body side mouldings •Rear model badge •Front prop shaft rubber joint
Presented with an MoT and road tax until July and June 2015 respectively, this true ‘time warp' example is turn-key ready to be enjoyed by its next lucky owner.