1958 Mercedes-Benz SL 190

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1958
  • Mileage 
    50 068 mi / 80 577 km
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Chassis number 
    8502598
  • Engine number 
    8502556
  • Lot number 
    410
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Exterior brand colour 
    Blue
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

A very attractive, right-hand drive 190SL in a great colour combination with a factory hardtopPowered bya 1,897cc overhead-camshaft four-cylinderFully restored to a very high standardFinished in a lovely shade of metallic mid-blue with a brilliant red leather interiorExcellent dash with restored instruments, correct Bakelite steering wheel and its original push-button radioThe odometer reads 50,068 miles (not warranted) and we understand the car has had a recentbrake overhaulThe 190SL was introduced in 1955, the year Mercedes-Benz swept all before it on the Mille Miglia with the 300SLR, and the graceful new two-door convertible grand tourer was sold alongside the road-going version of the SLR, the 300SL, whose styling it strongly resembled. In fact, the underpinnings of the two cars were quite different and, while the 300SL had a purpose-built tubular spaceframe (W198), its smaller sibling was built on a shortened version of the 'Ponton' saloon (W121) platform, which was of monocoque construction.The 190SL also boasted an all-new engine, an over-square SOHC straight-four unit of 1897cc that produced some 105bhp, which was sufficient to propel the car to a maximum speed of 112mph. The engine was coupled to a four-speed manual gearbox operated by a lever between the seats. The suspension comprised double wishbones and coil springs at the front and a coil-sprung swing axle at the rear. Steering was by recirculating ball and braking by power-assisted drums all round. Built to the highest standards and among the quickest comparable cars of the time, the 190SL featured a well-appointed cockpit, notable comfort for its occupants and relatively generous luggage space. Under the circumstances, even the steep asking price did nothing to deter purchasers and by 1963, when production ceased, over 25,000 had found homes.This smart 190SL was built during December 1958 in right-hand drive and was destined for Australia. We understand it was fully restored to a very high standard by NW Neale around 15 years ago. Our vendor has owned the car for 10 years using it occasionally and has covered around 2,000 miles in that period during which it has been serviced and maintained by a local specialist and Mercedes Scotland who displayed it in their showroomfor 6 months.The carpresents superbly in alovely shade of metallic mid-blue with a brilliant red leather interior. The cabin is excellent with just the right level of patination and the dashboard has been sympathetically restored with good chrome, clear instruments, the correctBakelite steering wheel and its original 'Highway Hi-Fi' push-button radio. The odometer indicates just over 50,000 miles but naturally, this can't be warranted. The engine bay is virtually in showroom condition, the wheel trims appear unmarked and the car is supplied with a factory hardtop.This lovely, right-hand drive 190SL is in tip-top condition and sensibly guided considering its quality.