1958 Lotus Seven

early Mark I

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1958
  • Car type 
    Convertible / Roadster
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Restored
  • Exterior brand colour 
    Aluminum body unpaint
  • Interior colour 
    Red
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

It was on July 31, 1957 that Colin Chapman decided to start manufacturing the little Mark VII which quickly became known under the magical name of Seven. But by the early days of 1958, only 8 chassis had left the tiny workshop at 7 Tottenham Lane in London. There were on this first series two possible options of engine / transmission adapted to the very light tubular chassis of the brilliant Chapman which embodied there, a 7th variation of its motto "light is right". Either the very expensive 1098cc Climax FWA engine associated with a 4 gearbox from Austin A30 or a side valve Ford of 1172 cc from Ford 100E, associated with the 3 speed gearbox of the same car. And it is the latter option that was most often chosen by kit car enthusiasts.

Chassis 0422 shown here is the 23rd of the 1 series. It was sold as a kit like most others with a Ford engine and gearbox to Jeff Miller on February 20, 1958. Other owners identified by the Lotus 7 Club were successively RA Downham (1984) then KRDear (1990). In 1993 David Ham salvaged the derelict and dilapidated car and began its restoration by rebuilding a new chassis from the old one and with the help of Lotus engineer Ken Rogers. Most of the body parts, delivered according to the factory documents as "all aluminum body unpaint" are original.

A very important feature of this chassis is its Burman screw and roller type steering box, of which it seems that the chassis 0422 is the only one to still have, all the others having been quickly converted into racks, an option then adopted by Lotus cars for the following models.
The 0422 chassis has undergone a long and meticulous restoration at Automobilia. All components of the chassis, drivetrain and rear axle (original Nash Metropolitan in 4.89: 1) were carefully overhauled or restored, while the aluminum body was redone. The car was fitted with a new Climax 1500 FWB engine with Weber carburetor and an A40 type 4 gearbox, in an optional configuration originally. The old 100E engine is also preserved. Disc brakes were fitted at the front, while the original drums were left at the rear.
A restoration file of more than 300 photos accompanies the car, as well as various documents and certificates from Lotus Cars and the British Lotus Seven Club. The car was presented on the Club stand at the Lotus Festival in Donington in 1997. French registration card.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

C’est le 31 juillet 1957 que Colin Chapman décidait de démarrer la fabrication de la petite Mark VII qui devait rapidement se faire connaître sous le nom magique de Seven. Mais aux premiers jours de 1958, 8 châssis seulement avaient quitté le minuscule atelier du 7 Tottenham Lane à Londres. Il y avait sur cette première série deux options possibles de motorisation/transmission adaptées au très léger châssis tubulaire du génial Chapman qui y concrétisait là, une 7ème déclinaison de sa devise "light is right". Soit le très couteux moteur Climax FWA de 1098cc associé à une boite 4 de provenance Austin A30 soit un Ford à soupapes latérales de 1172 cc de source Ford 100E, associé à la boite 3 vitesses de la même voiture. Et c’est cette dernière option qui était le plus souvent retenue par les amateurs de kit cars.
Le châssis 0422 présenté ici est le 23ème de la série 1. Il fut vendu en kit comme la plupart des autres avec un moteur et une boite Ford à Jeff Miller, le 20 février 1958. D’autres propriétaires identifiés par le Club Lotus 7 ont été successivement R.A Downham (1984) puis K.R.Dear (1990). En 1993 David Ham récupérait la voiture laissée à l’abandon et en très mauvais état et entreprenait sa restauration en reconstruisant un nouveau châssis à partir de l’ancien et avec l’aide d’un ingénieur de chez Lotus, Ken Rogers. La plupart des pièces de carrosserie, livrées selon les documents de l’usine en version « all aluminium body unpaint » sont d’origine.
Une particularité très importante de ce châssis, c’est son boitier de direction Burman de type vis et galet, dont il semble que le chassis 422 soit le seul à disposer encore, tous les autres ayant été rapidement convertis en crémaillères, une option adoptée ensuite par Lotus cars pour les modèles suivants.
Le châssis 422 a fait l’objet chez Automobilia d’une longue et méticuleuse restauration. Tous les composants du châssis, de la transmission et du train arrière (d’origine Nash Metropolitan en 4.89 :1) ont été soigneusement révisés ou restaurés, tandis que la carrosserie en aluminium était refaite à neuf. La voiture a été équipée d’un moteur neuf Climax 1500 FWB avec carburateur Weber et d’une boite 4 de type A40, dans une configuration optionnelle à l’origine. L’ancien moteur 100E est également conservé. Des freins à disques on en contrepartie été montés à l’avant, tandis que les tambours d’origine étaient laissés à l’arrière.
Un dossier de restauration de plus de 300 photos accompagne la voiture, de même que différents documents et attestations de Lotus Cars et du Club Lotus Seven britannique. La voiture avait été présentée sur le stand du Club au Lotus Festival de Donington en 1997. Carte grise française.