1949 Larmar 1946


  • Year of manufacture 
  • Chassis number 
  • Engine number 
    ZC10 1976
  • Lot number 
  • Drive 
  • Condition 
  • Number of seats 
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
  • Drivetrain 
  • Fuel type 


1949 Larmar Monocar
Registration no. FMO 106
Chassis no. A2VJ39260
Engine no. ZC10 1976

Built in Ingatestone, Essex by the Larmar Engineering Co Ltd and first introduced in 1946, the single-seater Larmar Monocar was designed primarily for invalids, for whom the main attraction was its ability to fit through a doorway - the vehicle was only 28½" wide! The Larmar was powered by a BSA 249cc single-cylinder air-cooled motorcycle engine, as fitted to the Birmingham firm's C10 and C11 models, which was mounted behind the driver and drove only one of the two rear wheels. Sliding-pillar front suspension and independent rear suspension made for a relatively comfortable ride, while top speed was a giddy 35mph. More refined than the majority of invalid carriages of the day, the Larmar came with a single headlight, folding convertible hood and a windscreen, and was later made available in improved form with a 350cc engine. Production ceased in 1951.

This rare Larmar Monocar had been in a museum in Pembrokeshire since the 1970s before being acquired for a private collection earlier this year. Believed to be the only survivor in roadworthy condition, the vehicle was repainted earlier this year and has been shown since. It comes complete with a trailer and V5 registration document. Prospective purchasers should note that the electric starter needs attention.