1964 Lancia Flaminia

Flaminia GTL 3C 2.8

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1964
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    147
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Blue

Description

  • The 248th of 300 examples built
  • Just three owners from new, offered from 41 years of single ownership
  • Restored by the consignor in its present dark blue over red colour scheme

Introduced in 1957, Lancia’s Flaminia line was the successor to the ground-breaking Aurelia. The Flaminia inherited the Aurelia’s revolutionary, DeVirgilio-designed V-6 and rear-mounted transaxle, but the earlier model’s sliding pillar front suspension was replaced by a more modern unequal-length double-wishbone front suspension. In addition to the Pinin Farina-designed, factory-built berlina, coachbuilt Flaminias were available as a Coupé from Pinin Farina, a Sport from Zagato, and the GT and GT Convertible from Touring, in their patented superleggera construction, of aluminium panels over a frame of thin steel tubes.

The rakish Touring GT was a two-seater, with only a carpeted shelf behind the seats. In 1963, to provide 2+2 seating capability, Touring introduced the GTL on a lengthened platform. The 2,520-mm wheelbase of the GT was lengthened by 80 mm, although the overall length increased only 30 mm. More dramatic was the 70-mm increase in height, which lends the GTL an airier greenhouse.

Over-engineered and over-built, the Flaminia line offered better handling and greater refinement than its Italian contemporaries from Modena and Maranello, but typically less power. So, the Flaminia engine was enlarged and updated, culminating in the 2.8-litre 3C, with triple Weber double-downdraft carburettors giving 150 bhp, as seen here. With its refinement and impressive build quality, the GTL 2.8 3C is a grand tourer in the genuine sense.

The Flaminia GTL, chassis no. 1248, was originally sold to Hubert Bruwier, who purchased the car in Italy and subsequently shipped it to his native Belgium. It later passed to Mathieu Hellings, from whom the current owner purchased it in 1978. In the current owner’s hands the car was subjected to a complete mechanical and cosmetic restoration and presents beautifully in the elegant and striking colours of metallic dark blue over red. It is accompanied by its original owner’s manual, shop manuals and extensive documentation. Built for covering long distances in comfort and style, this is a superbly usable car.

• Nummer 248 von 300 gebauten Exemplaren
• Drei Besitzer seit EZ, die letzten 41 Jahre in einer Hand
• Durch den einliefernden Besitzer restauriert in dunkelblau mit rotem Innenraum

Der 1957 vorgestellte Lancia Flaminia war der Nachfolger der bahnbrechenden Aurelia. Von ihr übernahm die Flaminia den revolutionären von DeVirgilio entworfenen V6 und das hintere Transaxle, ersetzte aber die Vorderradaufhängung des Vorgängers mit ihren senkrechten Führungsrohren durch eine moderne mit ungleich langen Doppelquerlenkern. Neben der von Pinin Farina gezeichneten Limousine gab es handgefertigte Versionen von speziellen Karosseriefirmen als Coupé von Pinin Farina, Sport von Zagato und als GT und GT Cabriolet von Touring mit ihrer patentierten Superleggera-Konstruktion, bei der Aluminiumblech über ein Gerüst aus dünnen Stahlrohren gezogen wurde.

Der schnittige GT war ein Zweisitzer mit einer nur mit Teppich verkleideten Ablage hinter den Vordersitzen. 1963 brachte Touring eine GTL genannte 2+2 Variante auf einer verlängerten Plattform auf den Markt. Der Radstand des GT von 2,52 m wurde um 8 cm verlängert, die Karosserie jedoch nur um 3 cm. Dramatischer war die um 7 cm größere Höhe, was dem GTL deutlich größere Glasflächen verleiht.

Die überentwickelte Flaminia Modellreihe bot im Vergleich mit zeitgenössischen Mitbewerbern aus Modena und Maranello besseres Handling und eine raffiniertere Verarbeitung, im Allgemeinen aber weniger Leistung. Daher wurde der Flaminia-Motor vergrößert und auf den neuesten Stand gebracht, woraus der 2.8 Liter 3C mit drei Weber Doppelvergasern und 150 PS Leistung entstand, wie wir ihn hier sehen. Das macht diesen kultivierten GTL 2.8 3C mit seiner hohen Verarbeitungsqualität zu einem Gran Turismo im klassischen Sinne.

Erster Besitzer von Flaminia GTL Chassis 1248 war ein Hubert Bruwier, der den Wagen in Italien erstand und in sein Heimatland Belgien verschiffen ließ. Später ging er an Mathieu Helling und 1978 an den heutigen Besitzer 1978, der es einer kompletten technischen und kosmetischen Restaurierung unterzog. Heute präsentiert sich der Wagen in wunderschönem Zustand in der eleganten Farbgebung von dunkelblau metallic mit rotem Leder. Dazu kommen die originalen Bordbücher, Werkstatthandbücher und eine umfangreiche Dokumentation. Ein sehr praktischer Gran Turismo, gebaut für lange Strecken in Komfort und mit Stil.

To view this car and others currently consigned to this auction, please visit the RM website at rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/es19.