• Year of manufacture 
    1959
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    33
  • Reference number 
    60615cFYukNGzZCsJh58vw
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other

Description


Temporary UK Import
See UK Registration/Import Status Guide in catalogue.

Named after the road between Rome and Rimini, Italy, the Lancia Flaminia was a worthy successor to the Aurelia that had served the Italian manufacturer through the 1950s. Carried over were the unitary chassis, V-6 engine, and four-speed gearbox that was mounted in-unit with the rear De Dion axle. The Flaminia was the first Italian car to be equipped with disc brakes, as an option at first but as a standard feature soon after. The Flaminia range initially consisted of the Berlina and Coupe, designed by Pinin Farina as well as the GT and Convertible built by Touring.

In 1959, the Sport was added to the lineup, which featured a lightweight body designed and built by Zagato. The curvaceous lines included covered headlights, the famous Zagato “double bubble” roof, and pop-out door handles. The 2.5-liter V-6 was at first only available in single Weber carburetor 118 bhp guise or in three-carburetor or 3C specification, good for an estimated 138 bhp. After the first 99 examples were built, a road legislation change in Italy prohibited the production of vehicles with covered headlights, hence a second series of the Sport was introduced with open headlights and a revised dashboard. Therefore, only the first 99 cars feature the beautiful, covered headlights giving the most pure and desirable design. Over the years, the Flaminia Sport Zagato was gradually upgraded with a three-carburetor engine setup and later also enlarging the engine to 2.8 liters. In 1964, the Super Sport with revised styling replaced the Sport. Production ceased in 1967, by which time 593 Flaminias were clothed by Zagato.

One of the desirable, early covered-headlight Flaminia Sports, this example was finished in Bruno Tropicale (Tropical Brown) with a tan leather interior. The Flaminia had several US-based owners before, it was shipped to The Netherlands, circa 1996, where it became part of the collection of Victor Muller – one of the driving forces behind the rebirth of the Spyker brand. In 1997, the Flaminia came into another notable Dutch collection and was then restored under the supervision of Lancia specialist Gilberto Clerici. During this process, it was repainted to the original Bruno Tropicale, and at some point the engine was also upgraded to 3C configuration by fitting three Weber carburetors and additional internal upgrades. Still with the car today, the accompanying original seats were replaced with special, lightweight Zagato-style sport seats. The Flaminia Sport is fitted with a correct type 2.5-liter engine, and also comes with a spare 2.8-liter V-6 Flaminia engine.

It is believed that only around 30 of the 99 Pre-Series Flaminia Sports have survived. That rarity, combined with unique features like the covered headlights, make it arguably the most desirable of all Lancia Flaminias. Finished in its original color combination, this is a particularly fine example of that rare breed.


Gooding & Company
1517 20th Street
Santa Monica  90404  California
United States
Contact Person Kontaktperson
First name 
Gooding & Company

Phone 
+1 (310) 899-1960