1955 Lancia AureliaAurelia B20S GT Coupe Series 4
Year of manufacture1955
- Offered from a Private Collection
- Wonderfully restored example of one of the finest post-war gran turismos
- Features desirable floor-shift, four-speed manual gearbox
- Sought-after Series 4 example with numbers-matching 2.5-liter V-6, De Dion rear suspension, and left-hand drive
- Winner of the Amelia Award in the Sports and GT Cars (1946–1954) class at the 2016 Amelia Island Concours
- Accompanied by Lancia Classiche Certificate of Origin
Introduced in B10 berlina form in 1950, Lancia’s Aurelia is a landmark post-war automobile. It was the first successful production car with a V-6 engine, and the first provided with standard radial tires. It combined Lancia’s torsionally stiff unit-body construction and traditional sliding-pillar front suspension with a rear transaxle and a multi-link rear suspension. In 1951, a coupe version was introduced: The B20 GT, with a 1,991-cubic-centimeter engine on a shortened 2,660-milimeter wheelbase. The model was constantly developed and improved over time; in 1953, the Third Series saw the engine increased to 2,451 cubic centimeters. The following year Lancia introduced the most desirable iteration of the model, which benefitted from further upgrades.
The Aurelia B20S GT Coupe on offer is an appealing example of the sought-after Series 4. Retaining the lightness of its predecessors, the additional power from the larger V-6 was joined with dramatically increased handling thanks to a De Dion rear suspension—resulting in what many believe to be the best-performing example of the Aurelia Coupe. Additionally, the B20S (for “Sinistra”) became the first factory left-hand drive model, allowing for North American importation. These developments make the Series 4 Aurelia a wonderful companion for participation in a number of events such as the Copperstate 1000, Mille Miglia, or California Mille rallies.
According to the accompanying Lancia Classiche Certificate of Origin, this car, chassis B20S-1124, was completed on 15 January 1955. As when new, it is presently finished in a handsome Verde; the exterior livery is complemented by contrasting tan wheels with chrome hubcaps. The stylish interior features factory-correct Panno Nocciola (hazelnut) wool, a Nardi wood-rimmed steering wheel, and a desirable floor shifter. Importantly, it retains its numbers-matching V-6 engine. Prior to its acquisition by a prominent collector of Italian automobiles and motorcycles in 2014, the car reportedly received a high-quality restoration in Italy. The quality of this work was subsequently put on display at the 2016 Amelia Island Concours, where it received the Amelia Award in the Sports and GT Cars (1946–1954) class.
One of the finest cars of the immediate post-war period, the Aurelia B20 GT Series 4 Coupe is a testament to the desirability and quality of automobiles engineered by Lancia. The timelessly stylish body is accompanied by wonderful road manners and a delightful engine. The example on offer will surely make a welcome addition to any collection, and an eager companion on tours worldwide. To view this car and others currently consigned to this auction, please visit the RM website at rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo23.