Styled like its Aurelia B10 big brother, Lancia's new small car, the Appia, arrived in 1953. The Lancia tradition of innovation in automotive technology was exemplified by the Appia's ultra-compact engine: a narrow-angle (10 degrees), 1,089cc V4 whose inclined overhead-valves were set in hemispherical combustion chambers and operated by twin, block-mounted camshafts. The unitary chassis construction adopted on the pre-war Aprilia was, naturally enough, continued, as was Lancia's traditional sliding-pillar independent front suspension. 'Notchback'-styled Series II cars came with a lengthened wheelbase and more power (up from 38 to 43bhp) while the final (3rd) series boasted further styling revisions and 48bhp. Complementing the standard Appia saloon were a series of limited edition models produced on a separate chassis and bodied by leading carrozzeria, Pininfarina being responsible for the coupé, Vignale the cabriolet and Zagato the GT coupé. Engine power was increased to 53bhp for these more sporting Appias which, when equipped with lightweight coachwork, could touch 100mph.
This rare, right-hand drive Appia saloon had been in storage for many years prior to its acquisition for the late owner's collection in February 2013, but is believed to have been in running condition at that time. Offered for restoration, the car comes with a V5 document and is sold strictly as viewed.