1957 Lagonda 3 Litre

MK 2

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1957
  • Mileage 
    47 350 mi / 76 203 km
  • Car type 
    Saloon
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Restored
  • Interior colour 
    Black
  • Number of doors 
    4
  • Number of seats 
    4
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Silver
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Performance 
    140 BHP / 142 PS / 105 kW
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

Lagonda is a British car manufacturer, founded in 1906 by a former opera singer, Wilbur Gunn, after acquiring British nationality and became a speedboat and motorcycle engineer. The company was acquired by Aston Martin in 1947 and it produced some noticeable luxury cars under both independent and Aston Martin parentage, becoming famous for producing rare and special luxurious cars.

The Lagonda 3.0L was built under the Brown / Aston Martin era to replace the 2.6 litre predecessor. The aluminum body was done by a David Brown owned subsidiary Engineering company, Tickford. They were made in three different body variations which included a 2-door, 4-seater coupe and drophead convertible as well as a 4-door saloon variant. Altogether, there were only 270 examples produced in all body variants, making it an exceptionally rare and collectable car.

The engine powering this Lagonda model was a 2.9 litre straight six which was designed by Walter Owen Bentley and was produced by Lagonda themselves, producing 140 bhp which could get the 3.0L to a top speed of 168km/h. Along with the powerplant, the 3.0L also had independent suspension all round, which was considered unusual for a car from that era, and Lockhead drum brakes to provide adequate stopping power. The Mark II was released in early 1955 and was introduced with a floor mounted gear lever.

As expected with a car of this specification, the interior is filled with comfort and luxury. Polished walnut covered the dashboard and door trims while the individual front seats and rear bench seats were finished in high quality leather. The front doors have adjustable arm rests while a heater, radio and built-in hydraulic jack stands were added as standard equipment to the Lagonda 3.0L.

This Example:
The four door example offered here is a matching number car and according to its build sheet was originally produced in Green with beige interior. It was first delivered by the Brooklands agents to Mr. Vaughan Bowman of London on 30th August 1957. Prior to the existing owners, the car was believed to be owned by a hotel and after the death of the owner it was passed on to his Sons who kept it in a basement for a long period of time. It is understood that it stayed in the same family ownership for in excess of 30 years.

The existing owners purchased the vehicle in 2013 and since acquiring the Lagonda they undertook an extensive body off restoration which included:

Bare metal respray
Rust removal and re-structure
Chassis sandblast & re-coat
Engine rebuild
Interior stripped and totally re-upholstered
Suspension overhaul

The car presents very well with the last small percentage still needing to be completed which is mainly superficial. The car has recently been tested with long runs and as is to be expected a few flaws came forth mechanically but inclusive of the purchase price these would be attended to.

Details are available on request.

Documented pictures of the restoration are available and can also be supplied on request.

This Lagonda is available to be viewed at the Crossley & Webb showroom in Gardens Cape Town