What would turn out to be the final glorious incarnation of Jaguar's fabulous 'XK' series of sports cars arrived in 1957. As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-litre engine and four-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the XK140's divided screen. Cleverly, the new body used many XK120/140 pressings, the increased width being achieved by means of a 4"-wide central fillet. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new model's main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed.
Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drophead coupé forms, the open roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 190bhp, the standard 3.4-litre engine's maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140, so performance was little changed. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Powr-Lok limited-slip differential was available for the XK150S. For 1960 the XK150 became available with the 3.8-litre, 220bhp XK engine first seen in the Jaguar Mark IX saloon. In this form the XK150's increased weight was more than offset by the power of the larger engine, the '3.8' regularly recording in excess of 130mph in magazine road tests.
Twice a competitor in the Tulip Rally, this right-hand drive XK150 coupé was purchased in Holland in 1998 from a Mr Van der Zalm having been treated to a complete, body off restoration in that country in 1994. Its engine has been changed at some time and a four-speed BMW close-ratio overdrive gearbox and new clutch fitted.
The current owner purchased the car at Bonhams' Goodwood Revival Meeting Sale in September 2011 (Lot 201) since when a full restoration has been carried out. The car was repainted by PF Bodyworks of Cheshire in 2012; all the brightwork re-chromed; new window glass installed; and the interior given a new headlining and completely re-trimmed in green leather. Still running in, the engine is a 3.8-litre unit with 'straight port' cylinder head and triple SU carburettors to 'XK150S' specification, which has been built by VSE Engineering to their 'VS02' tune. A new wiring loom and battery has been installed and the electrics converted to alternator charging, while other noteworthy features include new wire wheels and tyres; new radiator and water pump; new up-rated braking system; and a stainless steel exhaust.
Described as in generally very good/excellent condition, the car is offered with a large file of invoices and restoration records, assorted expired MoTs, JDHT certificate and UK V5 registration document.