1959 Jaguar XK 150S 3.8 Fixed Head Coupe
Year of manufacture1959
To Be OFFERED AT AUCTION WITHOUT RESERVE at RM Sothebys' Amelia Island event, 22 May 2021.
$130,000 - $150,000 USD
- The first 3.8-Litre XK 150 S produced, and one of just 111 right-hand drive FHCs
- Retained by Jaguar until 1961 for exhibition and demonstration; sold secondhand through Henlys of London
- Previously owned by Jacques Nasser, former President and CEO of Ford Motor Company
- An attractive and significant XK 150 S; photo-documented restoration from 1987-2002
- Accompanied by JDHT certificate, original wire wheels, as well as period literature featuring this very car
Finished in British Racing Green over a Suede Green interior and known by its original Coventry registration number, YHP 791, this fascinating right-hand drive XK 150 Fixed Head Coupe was the first of the 3.8-Litre “S” models. Completed on 18 September 1959, its triple-carbureted, 265-horsepower inline-six engine, number VAS 1001-9, was correspondingly the first of the new series; it is mated to a four-speed manual transmission with Laycock de Normanville overdrive and a 4.09:1 Thornton Power-Lok rear axle. Ultimately, only 275 3.8-Litre “S” models were built between 1959 and 1960, including 111 right-hand drive coupes.
On 12 October 1959, Jaguar registered the car as a company vehicle; it would remain in Jaguar’s possession until February 1961. Its early history is well documented, appearing in several publications—including a timed speed run of 136.3 mph by John Bolster of Autosport on 17 June 1960.
This XK 150 S was treated to a documented restoration in England, spanning 1987-2002, in its original colors. It retains is numbers-matching engine block as confirmed by its accompanying Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate; its cylinder head displays correct numbers, though the stamping is somewhat messy. During restoration, the car’s head was ported and polished for better performance on unleaded fuel, and it was fitted with power rack and pinion steering; an alternator with negative ground; cooling system with electric fan and high-flow radiator; discreet contemporary air-conditioning; a modern radio discretely installed in the boot; and five 16-inch chrome wire wheels with Pirelli 4000 tires.
While under restoration, it was purchased in 1999 by Jacques Nasser, former President and CEO of Ford Motor Company. It was displayed at the JDHT museum in Coventry, England prior to coming to the United States in 2003. This compelling and significant 1959 XK 150 S 3.8 Fixed Head Coupe is now offered with tools, its original set of wire wheels, and a history file containing correspondence, service records, press reports, manuals, and brochures. To view this car and others currently consigned to this auction, please visit the RM website at rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am21.