- Concours condition
- Performance and reliability
- The ultimate version in the XK series
The final version in Jaguar’s XK series, the XK 150 was launched in May 1957, succeeding the XK 120 from 1948 and the XK 140 from 1954. Building on its established international reputation, Jaguar continued to develop the XK series, which had originally been introduced with a 3.4-litre in-line six. Launched first in fixed head coupé (FHC) and drophead coupé (DHC) or convertible form, the open two-seater (OTS) or roadster version was added in 1958. The main change to its appearance was the adoption of a one-piece curved windscreen. It had more modern styling, influenced by the design of the contemporary Jaguar Mark 1 and Mark 2 saloons. On the technical side, the 150 kept the same chassis design with torsion bars at the front and a live rear axle with leaf springs. It carried over the rack-and-pinion steering introduced on the XK 140 but was fitted for the first time with disc brakes as standard. The standard engine was the 3.4-litre unit developing 190bhp, mated to a four-speed manual gearbox, with overdrive or a three-speed Borg Warner automatic transmission as options. The following year, an ‘S’ version of the 3.4-litre engine was introduced with three SU HD8 carburettors, which enabled it to develop 250bhp. At the end of 1959, Jaguar presented an entirely new 3.8-litre engine producing 220bhp or 265bhp in ‘S’ specification. Production of the roadster came to an end in December 1960, followed by that of the fixed head coupé in February 1961 and the drophead coupé in July that year. Altogether, 9382 units of the XK 150 were built, the majority exported to the United States. The XK 150 was then replaced by the E-Type.
The car which we are offering for sale is a 3.4-litre-engined XK 150 FHC which came off the production lines on 24 March 1958. As certified by Jaguar Heritage, it was delivered new to the USA in April 1958. It is fitted with its original 3.4-litre engine and a four-speed manual gearbox with overdrive. Its current owner bought it in 2009 and carried out a full restoration to a very high standard. The body was completely repainted in its original Sherwood Green. The interior was also fully restored in Baron Sellier’s workshops in 2015, with the upholstery, carpets, dashboard, door cards, headlining and boot all restored. A number of mechanical improvements were made to improve the car’s performance and reliability. The engine was overhauled in 2013 and is now fitted with a cylinder head from a 3.4-litre S, bringing its maximum power to 250bhp. The standard brake callipers have been replaced by four-piston callipers. True to its original specification, this magnificent XK 150 deserves consideration by the most demanding of collectors. Presented today at an attractive estimated price, this classy coupé undoubtedly represents an opportunity that is too good to pass up!