1956 Jaguar XK 140


  • Year of manufacture 
  • Chassis number 
  • Lot number 
  • Drive 
  • Condition 
  • Number of seats 
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
  • Drivetrain 
  • Fuel type 


1956 Jaguar XK140 Coupé
Registration no. WAU 532
Chassis no. 804598

'For 1955, Jaguar present a range of models incorporating not only added refinements, but mechanical advances directly derived from their many outstanding successes in international competitive events. All the wealth of experience gained on the race-tracks of the world and in record-breaking speed and endurance tests is built into every Jaguar to provide for discriminating motorists the highest degree of efficient performance allied to comfort and safety.' - Jaguar Cars Ltd.

Newly introduced for 1955, the Jaguar XK140 was broadly similar to, though more refined than, its sensational XK120 predecessor, major engineering changes being confined to the repositioning of the engine 3" further forward and the adoption of rack-and-pinion steering. The suspension and brakes remained much as before, though with stiffer torsion bars at the front and telescopic shock absorbers replacing lever type at the rear. Outwardly the newcomer was distinguishable by its revised radiator grille, rear lights incorporating flashing indicators, and larger bumpers. The power unit remained Jaguar's well-tried, 3.4-litre, twin-cam six, which now produced 190bhp in standard trim. A close-ratio gearbox enabled better use to be made of the increased performance and overdrive became an option for the first time. Special Equipment (SE) cars came with wire wheels and Lucas fog lamps, and could be ordered with an engine developing 210bhp courtesy of the C-type cylinder head. XK140 performance was well up to the standards set by its exemplary predecessor, contemporary road-tests regularly recording top speed figures in excess of 120mph.

One of only 843 right-hand drive XK140 fixed-head coupés made, this example was supplied on 17th January 1956 to Reginald George Baird of Nottingham. Second owner James Henry Anderson (the vendor's grandfather) acquired the Jaguar on 3rd September 1965 and it has remained in the same family's possession ever since. Hand written notes on file record the mileage covered increasing from 55,360 in 1972 to 65,162 in 1998, and the car also comes with sundry bills, a quantity of expired MoTs and tax discs, a V5 registration document, and MoT to June 2019. Refurbishment highlights include fitting a stainless steel exhaust in 1988; repainting the car in 1995; replacing the roof lining circa 2000; and installing a Kenlowe electric fan that same year. Remarkably, despite being over 60 years old, 'WAU 532' has never been restored; rather, this wonderful XK140 has been maintained and serviced throughout its life and is a really honest car, ready to use 'as is' or restore.