1952 Jaguar XK 120

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1952
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    006
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other

Description

This striking XK120 Roadster, finished in its factory-specified Blue Pastel paint with duotone upholstery and French Grey top, was dispatched from Jaguar’s factory on June 12, 1952, destined for Los Angeles. The identity of the original owner is unknown; the first known private owner was Louise Pfoutz, who in July 1961 purchased the XK120 from Herb’s Auto Sales in Dayton, Ohio. Mrs. Pfoutz was a remarkable woman who flew a WWII-era Navy trainer well into her advanced years. A custom, aircraft-style steering wheel and copy of her Ohio title with the purchase date accompanies the car at auction.

In 1988, Cleveland-based architect Gerald Payto purchased the car from Mrs. Pfoutz and had the XK120 restored to factory specifications at Cross Country Classics by Paul Cusato, a JCNA national concours judge. Great pains were taken to achieve a period-correct presentation and prepare the car for the highest levels of judged competition. The high-quality restoration was completed in 1991, and numerous receipts and correspondence documented the process.

While Mr. Payto drove the Jaguar less than 2,500 miles during his 28-year ownership, the car benefited from regular attention. The current owner has continued to enjoy the XK120 since acquiring it in spring 2016. An impressive file of records accompanies the sale, as does a proper tool kit, jack, air pump, and owner’s manual. Beautifully presented, with attractive disc wheels and rear spats, this XK120 Roadster is sure to excite the Jaguar purist.