1947 Jaguar MK IV

Mark IV Saloon

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1947
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    206
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other

Description

  • Delivered new to Portugal
  • Last of the truly classic Mk IV Jaguars
  • Older restoration which presents well

The Jaguar name was first used in 1936 on a handsome sports saloon built by SS Cars, Ltd, in Coventry, England. After World War II, the SS name carried unsavoury connotations, so the company was renamed Jaguar Cars, Ltd. The classically styled saloons and dropheads continued in production, with 1.5-, 2.5- and 3.5-litre engines. After the introduction of the updated and mildly re-engineered Mark V at the 1948 London Motor Show, the earlier cars became commonly known as Mark IV models.

According to its Jaguar Heritage Trust production record certificate, this right-hand-drive 3½-litre saloon was completed on 24 January 1947 and dispatched on 31 March to Madeira Supply Company, the distributor in Funchal, Madeira. Its first owner and early history were not recorded.

Presently finished in red with a biscuit leather interior, its older restoration presents well. It is an excellent example of the Classic Era Jaguars.

  • Entregue novo em Portugal
  • O último dos realmente clássicos Jaguar ‘Mk IV’
  • Restauro antigo, com boa apresentação

O nome Jaguar foi utilizado pela primeira vez em 1936, numa bonita berlina desportiva construída pela SS Cars Ltd, em Coventry, Inglaterra. Após a II Guerra Mundial, o nome SS passou a ter uma conotação desagradável, por isso, a empresa passou a chamar-se Jaguar Cars, Ltd. As berlinas e os descapotáveis com estilo mais clássico continuaram em produção, mantendo as versões 1.5 Litre, 2.5 Litre e 3.5 Litre. Depois da introdução do renovado Mark V, no salão automóvel de Londres de 1948, os modelos mais antigos passaram a ser conhecidos como ‘Mark IV’.

Segundo o seu certificado de produção, emitido pelo Jaguar Heritage Trust, este 3½-litre com volante à direta ficou pronto dia 24 de janeiro de 1947 e foi enviado, a 31 de março, para a firma Madeira Supply Company, o agente no Funchal, ilha da Madeira. O seu primeiro dono e a história inicial não são conhecidas.

Atualmente está lacado a vermelho com interior em couro castanho claro. O restauro que o beneficiou há alguns anos permite-lhe uma boa apresentação É um excelente exemplar da Era Clássica da Jaguar.To view this car and others currently consigned to this auction, please visit the RM website at rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pg19.