"In September 1967 the Jaguar Mk. II was re-labelled as the 240 and 340 compact saloons. They were interim models to fill the gap until the introduction of the XJ6 in September 1968. The 340 was discontinued on the introduction of the XJ6 but the 240 continued as a budget priced model until April 1969; its price of £1,364 was only £20 more than the first 2.4 in 1956. The 240 now had a straight-port cylinder head with twin HS6 SU carburettors and a new inlet manifold. To keep costs down, Jaguar replaced the leather with Ambla, a simulated leather material and tufted carpet was used on the floor. Other changes included the replacement of the front fog lamps with circular vents and optional fog lamps for the UK market. The sales price was reduced to compete with the Rover 2000 TC. For the first time, the 2.4 litre model could exceed 100 mph, resulting in a slight sales resurgence.
Manufactured on 30th August 1968 and supplied by Glovers of Ripon to W.R.M. Michel in Harrogate, this Jaguar was originally registered on 1st October 1968. Still in its original colour combination of Dark Blue exterior with Dark Blue Ambla interior, this is a good honest example of one of Browns Lane finest designs. Owned by the current vendor since 2006, he has lovingly kept the car in a dehumidified garage and has used her only sparingly. Starting immediately when requested, the six-cylinder XK engine runs well and with good oil pressure. This is mated to a manual gearbox with overdrive. Sitting proudly on wire wheels and fitted with the sporty Coombes rear spats, we are advised this matching numbers 240 drives well with no known faults. Supplied with a UK V5C registration document, this example would benefit from some light re-commissioning and perhaps some more regular use than she has had of late."