1950 Healey Silverstone

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1950
  • Mileage 
    1 125 mi / 1 811 km
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Chassis number 
    D26
  • Engine number 
    B900
  • Lot number 
    419
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Exterior brand colour 
    White
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Gearbox 
    Manual

Description

The Silverstone wasa lightweight attractive two-seater powered by a 2.4-litre Riley engineFirst registered on02/05/1950 and retains the same registration to this day (LGK 49)105 Silverstones were produced.Chassis D26is an early D-type model, of which 51 were builtLived happily in Ray Fieldings eclectic car collection in Scotland for 50 yearsHardly used for the last decade or soand is presented in unrestored conditionAn excellent opportunity as, when fully returned to its best, this rareBritish roadster will be welcome at prestigious motoring events anywhere in the worldYou can now book a one to one appointment (up to one hour) to view this lot at our central location between 16th and 30th July. Please contact us on 01926 691 141 to secure your appointment or [email protected] to discuss the car in more detail. The health and safety of both our customers and team remains the utmost priority, we are therefore operating to strict COVID-19 guidelines and full instructions for arrival and inspection protocols will be given when making your appointment.Introduced by Donald Healey Motors in 1949, the Healey Silverstone gained attention from both motor enthusiasts and racing drivers alike with its ability to be used on the road and for competition. Powered by a 2.4-litre Riley Engine and mostly assembled by hand, the Silverstone was designed as a lightweight attractive two-seater with innovative and practical design elements.These clever designs details included readily detachable flared wings, a windscreen which drops into the scuttle instead of folding flat, twin headlamps mounted behind the radiator grille and the famous spare wheel design that tucks into the tail compartment of the car, meaning that the wheel doubles up as a bumper. However, these forward-thinking innovationsdid not distract from the sleek and clean outline of the Silverstones appearance.The Healey Silverstone proved itself to be a success on rallies, with Donald Healey himself achieving a class win at the 1949 Alpine Rally alongside co-driver Ian Appleyard. Further International success for the Silverstone included other victories at the Liege-Rome-Liege Rally in the hands of Bill Lamb and Peter Riley and the 1951 Coupe des Alpes, driven with Le Mans competitor Edgar Wadsworth and Cyril Corbishley at the Wheel.Gaining recognition on Rallies and proving to be a desirable model, the Healey Silverstone would attract customers such as US Racing Driver, Briggs Cunningham and gave first track experience to future racing drivers, most notably Tony Brooks.A total of 105 Healey Silverstones were produced andthe example offered here, chassis D26 is an early D-type Model, of which 51 were built. According to The Healey Silverstone Register, the first owner of D26 was a Mr Howard Riddel. As noted in the history file, D26 was first registered in 2nd May 1950 and retains the same registration to this day (LGK 49).In 1969, D26 was purchased by well-known racer and collector Ray Fielding of Forres, Scotland who kept the carin his famouscollection for around 50 years! Originally Red, Mr Fielding decided to repaint the carwhite which was not a decision he took lightly, in fact stating he would only paint the D26 in white if other Silverstone models were originally painted in this colour. Mr Fielding was very careful to keep the caras authentic as possible andcorresponded and consulted with Donald Healey Motors and the Healey Owners club regarding works carried out on D26, to ensure that he was using the correct parts and materials whilst carrying outan engine rebuild and various cosmetic repairs to the upholstery. During hislong ownership, he used it on Hill Climbs and Sprints, participating atFintray in 1994 and the 2004 Historic Wheels Club rally in Aberdeenshire.Mr Fielding displayed D26 at his famous Motor Museum in Forres for a number of years alongside some other extraordinary cars in his collection and on his passing, his widow, now aged 90,continued to display the little Healeyuntil last year meaning that D26 has had limited use over the last decade or so.Today, presented in unrestored condition, D26 presents an excellent opportunity to acquire a soundexample of a super fifties sports car that would be welcome anywhere.HShttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SoD22-pbtwfalse