1988 Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica Recreation Registration no. 625 PPO Chassis no. 58163
'The opportunity of examining one of the fastest sports-racing chassis in the world is attracting enthusiasts to the Frazer Nash stand. The High Speed chassis employs a Bristol-built 2-litre engine... with extensive modifications to bring the power output up to 120bhp. The chassis is new with a frame of large diameter tubes.' ? The Autocar, 29th October 1948.
The Frazer Nash cars of the late 1930s had been re-badged BMWs (parent company AFN Ltd were the official importers) but after WW2 the firm returned to producing the kind of uncompromising, competition-orientated sports car that had forged its reputation in the 'Chain Gang' era of the 1920s. Frazer Nash had used a variety of proprietary engines in pre-war days, and when production proper resumed in 1948 it was with Bristol power units, a particularly appropriate choice given the latter's BMW origins. By the time production ceased in 1957, Frazer Nash had completed a little over 400 cars in some 33 years, yet had acquired a reputation and a fanatical following out of all proportion to the paucity of its output.
The 'Le Mans Replica' Frazer Nash is perhaps ? quite justifiably ? the most highly regarded of all post-war cycle-mudguard sports-racing cars. Originally marketed as the 'High Speed' or 'Competition' model, it gained the evocative 'Le Mans' name following a 3rd place finish in the French endurance classic in 1949. Only 34 of this model were made by AFN Ltd between 1948 and 1953, and these incredibly versatile cars were highly successful in sports car racing in their day. They are eligible for a wide variety of the most prestigious events today and command commensurately high prices.
An exact recreation of a Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica, the car offered here is the first in a series of 11 built by Werner Oswald. Known as 'WOK1', it was assembled largely from original parts for Oswald's personal use. Werner Oswald had bought the company name 'Frazer Nash Cars Ltd' and thus was free to construct exact reproductions. As such, this car was awarded FIA/HTP papers in 2010 making it eligible for many of the most prestigious historic events. After leaving Oswald's ownership, this car passed through the hands of various enthusiasts including actor Ray Winstone, renowned collector Peter Mann, and past chairman of the Historic Grand Prix Cars Association Julian Sutton.
Restored in 2015, '625 PPO' is fitted with full weather gear: windscreen, hood, side screens, windscreen wiper, and a lockable boot for rallies/touring. For sports car racing the spare wheel and windscreen may be removed, and aero screens and a tonneau cover fitted. With the wings removed this supremely adaptable machine qualifies as a Formula 2 Historic Grand Prix Car. Offered with its FIA Historic Technical Passport, sundry restoration invoices, and a V5C Registration Certificate, this highly versatile competition car represents a great value-for-money opportunity for some truly world class motoring.