1949 Ford F1

V8 Woodie Estate

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1949
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Chassis number 
    98RCF118605
  • Engine number 
    98RCF118605
  • Lot number 
    55192
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of doors 
    4
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

- Reputedly supplied new to the US Consulate in Ireland for use by the Consul General's bodyguards (and one of just three such 'Woodies' made)

- Treated to an extensive bodywork / woodwork restoration by S.T. Foreman of Bosham, West Sussex during the 1990s

- Formerly registered with the DVLA as 'MSU 202' prior to entering the current Irish ownership

Introduced in late 1947, the F-Series was Ford's first post-WW2 truck design. Also known as the Bonus-Built, the newcomer boasted a one-piece windscreen, wider cab and integrated headlamps. The majority of F-Series were supplied in Pickup, Panel Van, Cab over Engine or School Bus guises (though, Ford also sold bare chassis for speciality bodies to be built upon). Power was provided by a range of 'Flathead' straight-six and V8 engines. Most variants utilised three-speed manual transmissions but some of the heavier duty ones had five-speed gearboxes. Marmon-Herrington All Wheel Drive remained an option on all F-Series until 1959. Stylistically updated with a single-bar grille in 1951, the first-generation Bonus-Built was superseded by the F100 for the 1953 model-year. The F-Series Pickup proved to be the USA's best-selling vehicle for 23 years and its best-selling truck for 31.

Reputedly one of three such Ford F-1 light commercial chassis that were specially bodied in Cork for use by the US Ambassador to Ireland's bodyguard troupe, this unusual Woodie Estate later migrated to Llangendeirne, West Wales. Acquired by hoteliers Mr & Mrs Knowles of Bramshaw, Lyndhurst in February 1996, the Ford ferried numerous of their guests around over the next seventeen years. Entrusted to coachbuilders, S.T. Foreman Woodwork Restorations of Bosham, West Sussex, the F-1 emerged from a full bodywork refurbishment during 2007. Powered by a 239ci (3.9 litre) V8 engine allied to three-speed manual transmission, assorted paperwork suggests that Mr Knowles sourced any necessary mechanical parts from marque specialist Joblot Automotive Inc of New York. Sparingly used since entering the current Irish ownership four years ago, the Ford remains presentable and is said to 'drive very well'. Offered for sale with various restoration photos and sundry paperwork (including an expired V5 Registration Document for the number plate 'MSU 202').

PLEASE NOTE: All estimates are subject to a buyer's premium of 15% incl. VAT (@ 20%)