"The first FIAT (FIAT being an acronym for Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino) was rolled out from the factory in 1901. During the 1920s, to save on import duties, FIAT supplied the chassis units only to FIAT (England) Limited, chassis units having a lot less tax liability than complete automobiles. The catalogue for the FIAT 12 h.p. Model 503, in the UK offered three choices of body style, a 12 h.p. five-seater (four doors) open model (£295), a 12 h.p. saloon (four doors) closed model (£350) and as offered today, a 12 h.p. two-three Seater (with Dickie seat) open design (£290).
According to Fiat UK Limited, this particular chassis was supplied to Fiat England on 9th March 1927. The chassis was bodied by Fiat at the company’s Railways Materials Department, Ashford, Kent, which, at the time, undertook the building of special bodied cars in addition to locomotives and rolling stock. Due to its unusual coachbuilder, you may be able to spot the railway items fitted such as the electrical master on off switch mounted within the rear seating/boot area and the railway carriage door handles. Originally supplied with a grey coachwork, today, this Fiat is presented in very good order in yellow over black. It has a full complement of weather equipment and has recently been treated to a new Triplex windscreen (two pieces), supplied by Warner Glass, Croydon, who also supplied a windscreen for this motorcar in 1952 for £8.00. A copy of that invoice from 1952, now sits framed on their office wall in Croydon, the current owner of the company, having made that glass in 1952. This Torpedo also sits on its original Sankeys, patented, pressed steel wheels. Recent works include a new battery, overhauled radiator, valves re-faced and re-sprung seats with new webbing. Starting is aided by an electrical start with a starting handle backup.
Along with it current UK V5C registration document, this Fiat comes with two continuation buff log books from the 1950s and records that the car was first registered on 29th September 1927. There is also the original build sheet, old invoices and an MoT test certificates, one invoice in particular is from Sunningdale Motors to a Pilot Officer G. Partridge dated 30th June 1952. Other items include a chassis parts manual, catalogue, operating instructions, road test reports and various letters. Various spares such as an engine block, gearbox, rear axle and other small components are also included. This lovely and well cared for Fiat is a handsome machine and, to find one today in this condition and functioning, as it should, is a rare find indeed. Great fun for the summer pub/club runs and offered with an exceptionally reasonable estimate."