1957 Ferrari 335SBy Scaglietti
Year of manufacture1957
Car typeConvertible / Roadster
Chassis type 520/B, n° 0674
Engine type 141, n°0674, internal number 2
- Exceptional in every respect
- Driven by the greatest drivers, including a World Champion
- Second in the 1957 Mille Miglia
- Winner of the 1958 Cuba Grand Prix
- In Pierre Bardinon's collection since 1970
The history of Ferrari is down to one man - Enzo Ferrari - and his talent for picking the finest engineers and drivers to immortalize his race cars in the world's greatest events. Throughout the marque's history, the factory cars, those run by the Scuderia Ferrari itself, the 'official' cars, have been granted legendary status in the heritage of the Automobile. They won their spurs in the hands of the most celebrated drivers, Juan Manuel Fangio, Trintignant, Moss, von Trips, Taruffi, Musso, Hill and more recently Schumacher, Regazzoni, Alboreto All these names have contributed to the history of the Scuderia's success, helping to build, race after race, the legend of Maranello. There is no other brand on earth that can boast a more powerful image than Ferrari. No other brand turns as many heads. No other marque can produce such a musical revelation with each press of the throttle. No other marque has as many victories to its name as Ferrari.
The Artcurial Motorcars team is delighted to present one of these factory racing cars. THE racing car. The one that enabled Ferrari to win the Constructors' World Championship Title in 1957. With its outstanding engineering, perfectly sketched lines and charismatic proportions, with its breathtaking race results, its great drivers, its continuous history and prestigious provenance, this Ferrari 335 S symbolises the Myth and the Masterpiece from the 1950s in the history of motorsport around the world. This car has it all.
In the 1950s, the heart of sporting Italians beat to the rhythm of what was, to them, " the greatest race in the world ": the Mille Miglia. The most prestigious car manufacturers fought with each other and the most experienced drivers threw themselves into the ring for this mad race. It started in Brescia, and covered over 1600 km of long straights, winding mountain roads and travelled through historic towns. In the mid-1950s, to defend its colours in front of Maserati and Mercedes, Ferrari relied on four-cylinder models, the last of which was the 860 Monza, a powerful yet brutal car. In 1956, it turned to the V12, using an engine for the 290 MM derived from that used in the Grand Prix single seaters. With an overhead cam per bank of cylinders and dual ignition, this 3.5-litre engine produced 340 bhp at 7 200 rpm. It proved itself from the outset, powering Eugenio Castellotti to victory in the Mille Miglia in 1956, followed by four other Ferrari. Bodied by Scaglietti, this car embodied the ultimate finesse, purity and lightweight of Italian racing machines of this era. Before long the car evolved into the 290 S with an engine that was the same size but featured a completely new set-up. This time there were twin cams per bank of cylinders, inspired by the Lancia D50 Grand Prix engine designed by Vittorio Jano. Lighter and more powerful than its predecessor, it was developed as a 3.8-litre Tipo 140 version for the 315 S, followed by a 4-litre Tipo 141 for the 335 S. This four-cam version, with double ignition and four-choke carburettors represented the most advanced engineering of its day. It produced some 400 bhp allowing this car to defend the Ferrari colours brilliantly.
The Ferrari 335 S #0674 in the sale
Chassis 0674 left the Ferrari workshops at the start of 1957. Bodied as a barchetta by Scaglietti and given a four-cam 3.8-litre V12 Tipo 140 engine, this was one of the Ferrari factory 315S. The car's first race was the Sebring 12 Hours, on 23 March, in the hands of Peter Collins and Maurice Trintignant, and competing alongside another 315 S driven by De Portago and Luigi Musso. Having held the lead for the first 20 laps, this stunning Ferrari started slipping backwards and finally finished the race 6th, ahead of De Portago. The very quick Maserati 450 S driven by Fangio-Behra claimed victory. However, after this "trial run", attention turned to the event that all Italians were waiting for: the Mille Miglia in May. The car was given to Wolfgang von Trips to complete the Ferrari team featuring two powerful 335 S 4-litre cars. These machines dominated the event and victory was handed to Piero Taruffi who, after taking part 14 times, finally won this legendary race, despite suffering transmission problems. Just behind him came von Trips, whose car, number 532, performed perfectly. Respectfully abiding by Ferrari's principle of not challenging a teammate, he finished second. This success for the Italian marque was sadly overshadowed by De Portago's accident 40 kilometres from the finish: a burst tyre caused him to leave the road, resulting in the death of several spectators. This led to the end of the event itself.
Immediately after the race, the engine of chassis 0674 was increased from 3 800 cc to 4 100 cc and the car was entered for the most prestigious endurance race of all : the Le Mans 24 Hours, driven by Mike Hawthorn and Luigi Musso. Hawthorn took the lead at the start, ahead of the Maseratis and Jaguars, and on the 30th lap broke the record for the average lap speed on the 24H Le Mans circuit, the first time anyone had exceeded 200 km/h (203.015 km/h to be exact). Unfortunately an engine problem forced the team to retire in the 5th hour.
On 11 August, the factory sent the car to Sweden for the Swedish Grand Prix (the Kristianstad 6 Hours), driven once more by Hawthorn and Musso, alongside the 335 S of Peter Collins and Phil Hill. A battle ensued with the Maserati 450 S entries and the Ferrari had to give way, although Collins finished second. Hawthorn and Musso had to deal with a fire breaking out in their car, but nevertheless finished the race in fourth position.
The Ferrari then went back to the factory where it was modified at the front, in the style of the 250 Testa Rossa "ponton fender", to help cool the brakes more effectively for the hot South American climate of the Venezuelan Grand Prix on 3 November. The 335 S, chassis 0674, remained in the hands of Hawthorn and Musso, alongside the other 4-litre car of Collins-Hill and the two Ferrari 250. The result of this race would decide the World Title, a battle between Ferrari and Maserati, and this battle was fiercely contested. Maserati suffered a run of bad luck, however, with all three cars retiring in difficult circumstances. This left the way clear for their rival Maranello, who finished 1-2-3-4! The Constructors' World Championship Title was theirs and the second place of Hawthorn-Musso in chassis 0674 had played a major part.
Returning to the factory at Maranello, the Ferrari received a new engine - the 335 S Tipo 141, internal number 2 - and in January 1958 was sold to Luigi Chinetti, the Ferrari importer based in New York. On 24 February, the car took part in the Cuban Grand Prix, in Havana, sporting the NART livery of blue with a white stripe, driven by Masten Gregory and Stirling Moss who won the race.
Chinetti then rented the car to Mike Garber, who entered chassis 0674 for various races in the US during the 1958 season, driven by Gaston Andrey and Lance Reventlow (creator of the famous Scarab). There were some excellent results including a victory in the Road America 500 and on the circuits at Thompson and Watkins Glen. The last recorded race entry was on 7 December, during the Bahamas Speed Week in Nassau, where 0674 was forced to retire. In 1960 the Ferrari was sold to Robert N. Dusek, an architect living in Solebury, Pennsylvania.
Ten years later, in 1970, Dusek sold the car to Pierre Bardinon, one of the most knowledgeable Ferrari collectors in the world. Over a period of years, Bardinon put together a highly selective collection of Ferrari competition cars, bringing together the most successful and the most iconic models. His collection was based near Aubusson, in La Creuse, where he built a private circuit, full of gradients and tight curves, like a mini-Charade.
In September 1981, Pierre Bardinon entrusted the car to the workshop Fantuzzi in Modena, to be restored to its original configuration, with its first front nose (we have not been able to locate bills for this restoration). The 'ponton fender' front section that was transformed to run in South America will be delivered to the new owner, as it was restored and kept alongside the car in Pierre Bardinon's museum. Apart from trips out on the private circuit, this stunning Ferrari has not been seen much in recent years, although it did appear in the splendid exhibition "Homage to Ferrari" organised in 1987 by the Cartier Foundation in Jouy-en-Josas. Ten years later, in 1997, it participated in events organised in Rome and Maranello to celebrate the marque's 50th anniversary. Pierre Bardinon sold some of the cars in his collection over the years but always refused to sell the 335S, despite endelss appeals; he saw this car as an essential part of his collection.
Photographs of this car appear in the most important books on the history of the marque. It is rare that a racing car of this calibre has such clear and direct history, without any uncertainty, and with a small number of owners. Such provenance, racing history and historical importance makes this one of the most important Ferrari in the history of motorsport.
Successive drivers of the Ferrari 315 S n°0674
Peter Collins, British, joined Ferrari in 1956, driving the Lancia-Ferrari D50 and winning two Grand Prix, at Spa-Francorchamps and Reims. His teammate was Juan-Manuel Fangio, who was crowned World Champion that year. He was also a talented endurance driver : he finished second twice in the Le Mans 24 Hour Race (1955, Aston Martin DB3 S with Paul Frère ; 1956, Aston Martin DB3 S with Stirling Moss), and also finished second in the Mille