1961 Daimler SP 250

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1961
  • Mileage 
    64 489 mi / 103 785 km
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    307
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Gearbox 
    Automatic

Description

"The controversially styled Daimler Dart was introduced at the New York Motor Show in 1959 and had its European debut at the 1959 Earls Court Motor Show; the Dart name was soon dropped after the threat of legal action from Chrysler who had a car of that name within their Dodge division. Thereafter this new sports car was known as the Daimler SP250.  Power was provided by the 2.5 litre, Edward Turner designed, V8 that soon became revered for the smoothness in its power delivery with 140bhp on tap.  Independent double wishbone front suspension at the front and half elliptical springs at the rear with a live rear axle kept the car on the road with stopping power supplied by hydraulic disc brakes on all four corners.  The coachwork was constructed with glass reinforced plastic providing a tough, strong and lightweight shape that enhanced performance with exciting and non-traditional looks.  The 120mph plus capability was recognised by the police and they were soon being used as high speed chase cars. 
DMY 160A underwent a full nut and bolt restoration which included a complete engine rebuild including pistons, bearings and all new valves and guides to the cylinder heads. During the restoration the car benefitted from marque specialist, Robert Grinter’s rear gas telescopic suspension upgrade and the essential rack and pinion steering conversion. There are two 7” electric fans fitted on a thermostat which, coupled with the automatic transmission, means that the car is just as comfortable in the city as it is on long cruises. The body was stripped to the gel coat and repainted in Jaguar opalescent grey, it has a new hood and has been completely retrimmed in Oxblood leather. The car was purchased new in June 1961 from Stratstone London, by Dr Derek Ivor Segall, a Harley Street doctor who lived in the fabulously named house ‘By the Way’, London Road, Stanmore, who ordered the car with a very rare automatic transmission. Dr. Segall kept the car for four years, before selling it on to an Anthony Mitchell who lived in Kensington High Street, London, who then went to live in Northern Ireland, taking the car with him. The car remained there until it was bought and restored in 2016 and finally returned to its former glory.
Supplied with the UK V5C registration document, original buff logbook, Heritage Certificate, history file and photographic record of its restoration along with an editorial piece in “Royal North of Ireland Yacht Club” magazine which covers the cars restoration. This rare automatic Dart offers great usability along with a desirable history and presented in nicely restored condition.
"