First owned by Lord Walter Rothschild 1937 Daimler EL24 De Ville Coachwork by Charlesworth Registration no. CUR 241 Chassis no. 43734
One of the founding firms of the British motor industry, Daimler was part of the expanding BSA group by 1911. The adoption of the refined 'Silent Knight' sleeve-valve engine had done much to turn around the company's fortunes and establish Daimler as a marque committed to engineering excellence, a policy which continued in the 1920s with the introduction of the 'Double-Six' - Britain's first V12. A new range of sleeve-valve sixes was introduced for 1926, and these chassis began to attract an increasing proportion of owner-driver coachwork. This trend continued with the introduction of the first of Daimler's pushrod overhead-valve sixes - the 1,805cc Fifteen - in 1933. The range expanded and in 1937 a larger six, the EL24, was introduced on a 124" chassis and powered by a 3,317cc engine, which drove via Daimler's trademark Wilson pre-selector gearbox.
The long-wheelbase EL24 was intended for formal saloon/limousine coachwork, which makes this unique Charlesworth-bodied two-door De Ville something of a rarity, to say the least. Based in Coventry, Charlesworth was perhaps best known for its contract work for various manufacturers, most notably Alvis, as well as some notable bespoke designs such as this one.
Surviving Hertfordshire Council registration records show that 'CUR 241' was first registered in April 1937 to Lord Walter Lionel Rothschild at his estate outside Tring, and it is believed that Lord Rothschild lent this Daimler to his friend, the Duke of Windsor (formerly King Edward VIII) for use abroad. The car returned from Lisbon, Portugal in 1953.
Later in life it was bought by a Mr Garth Isaac of Boston, Lincolnshire and totally restored to concours condition in 1982, winning every competition entered throughout the late 1980s and featuring in many magazine articles. The current vendors purchased this Daimler in October 2016 together with the Light 20 in this sale (Lot 584), since when the pair have formed part of their wedding-hire fleet. However, the vendors have since realised that they cannot do these wonderful Daimlers justice and display them as they deserve to be, hence the reluctant decision to sell. Presented in excellent condition, the car comes with a copy old-style logbook (1960), assorted correspondence, sundry bills, current MoT, and a V5C Registration Certificate.