"The Daimler Dart was built in Coventry and launched at the 1959 New York Motor Show achieving great success in the North American market. Built with a fibreglass body, the power was provided by the 2.5 litre Edward Turner designed V8 that soon became revered for the smoothness in its power delivery with 140bhp on tap. Independent double wishbone front suspension at the front and half elliptical springs at the rear with a live rear axle, kept the car on the road with stopping power supplied by hydraulic disc brakes on all four corners. The car was described as a 2+2 but the bench-like rear seat offered very limited leg room unless the front seats were pushed fully forward. Daimler were soon forced to drop the Dart name when threatened with legal action by Chrysler's Dodge division; the car was then renamed the Daimler SP250.
Originally registered in 1960, this lovely privately owned example is brought to us by an enthusiast who has resided in France for many years but who has, nevertheless, cared for the car very well. This well-travelled Daimler found its way to South Africa before becoming part of our vendor’s collection in France and the car has been owned either by him or his family for the past 20 years. Sitting on new chrome wire wheels and presented in maroon with cream leather, this SP250 has recently had a full detail and mechanical recommissioning. It comes supplied with the desirable hard top, a good hood and accompanying bag with tonneau cover and with upgrades including an optional heater, electronic ignition and electric screen wash. A very good history file includes original South African and French papers and invoices for maintenance. It is reported that only 700 Daimler Dart/SP250’s are currently in existence, this lovely model represents an opportunity to own one of those few.