1926 Clyno 10.8hp Royal Tourer Registration no. EJ 1784 Chassis no. 13940 Engine no. 13940
Cousins Ailwyn and Frank Smith had founded the Clyno Engineering Company in 1909 for the purpose of marketing an adjustable belt pulley for motorcycle transmissions, soon turning to the assembly of complete machines using Chater Lea frame fittings and Stevens engines. After WWI the firm abandoned motorcycle production and was reformed as the Clyno Engineering Company (1922) Ltd whose first product was a Coventry-Climax engined light car. That first 1.4-litre (10.8hp) model would turn out the be the firm's biggest success, swiftly establishing a reputation for unrivalled reliability, pleasant driving characteristics and willing performance that saw sales reach 12,000 units annually by 1926/67. The Clyno was direct competition for the Morris Cowley, and the Wolverhampton firm decided to extend its model range to take on larger rivals, such as the Oxford. Rushed expansion and the coincidental relocation to a new factory led to a drop in build quality. Clyno's reputation suffered and in 1928 main distributor Rootes dropped the make. Nevertheless, Clyno continued to introduce new models, including a 9hp, but the 1929 trade recession was one setback too many, resulting in the firm's bankruptcy that same year.
This three-door tourer dates from Clyno's pre-expansion heyday and started life in Aberystwyth before relocating to the Oxford area. When its then owner was posted to Southern Nigeria, working for the British Commonwealth, the Clyno remained laid up until its acquisition and restoration by a new owner. It returned to the road in 2012. Finished in Royal Blue with black leather interior, 'EJ 1784' is described by the private vendor as in generally very good condition restored to as close to original order as possible, starting readily and running soundly courtesy of a rebuilt magneto. The car is offered with a V5 registration document, owners handbook, full length tonneau, hood bag and an expired MoT certificate (issued at time of restoration).