1929 Chrysler Series 75

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1929
  • Chassis number 
    R291011
  • Lot number 
    355
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

Property of a deceased's estate
1929 Chrysler 75 Roadster
Registration no. AYX 209
Chassis no. R291011

Produced at the old Chalmers plant in Detroit and introduced in January 1924, Walter P Chrysler's first automobile was an innovative, medium priced, six-cylinder car of better-than-average performance, as numerous motor sport successes would soon demonstrate. Offering a $5,000 specification for under $1,500, the Chrysler featured hydraulic brakes, aluminium pistons, full-pressure lubrication and a tubular front axle, and was able to reach 70mph comfortably. Not surprisingly, it was an outstanding success, 32,000 being sold in the car's first year of production. The original Chrysler Model 70 six remained 3.3 litres in capacity until 1926 when it was enlarged to 3.6 litres. A smaller, 3.0-litre Model 60 six was introduced for 1927, while the 70 grew to 4.1 litres for 1928, becoming the Model 72. By this time the range had expanded to encompass not just the smaller six but a four and the fabulous Imperial, the latter larger and more expensive than the original and intended to compete with the likes of Cadillac, Lincoln and Packard.

Its cheaper four-cylinder cars having been re-badged as Plymouths, Chrysler fielded an all six-cylinder line-up for 1929, the Series 75 sitting in the middle of the range between the Series 65 and Imperial. The Series 75 was powered by a 248.9ci (4,080cc) sidevalve engine producing 75 horsepower as standard (84 with the optional high-compression cylinder head) and there were no fewer than 11 models to choose from. Lockheed hydraulic brakes and Lovejoy shock absorbers were standard equipment.

We are advised that its late owner, Barclay Dodd, bought this Chrysler from his good friend Colin Rogers of Chipping Sodbury in 2001, Colin having acquired the car in 1991. The car was immediately sent to Chariots of Lewes where the front bench seat was replaced with separate seats. Not used since last MoT'd in 2011, this striking soft-top Chrysler comes with a V5C registration document and bills from Chariots and Technilock. Re-commissioning will be required before it returns to the road.